Welcome to Healthy Life Lessons and thanks for visiting!
I created this blog to chronicle the many struggles of parenting young children and keeping sane and healthy.
I am not a doctor or dietician, but I am passionate about sharing my knowledge of health and fitness that I have acquired through my more than 20 years as a fitness instructor and personal trainer.
The information I provide is evidence based. I use my past training and experience as a researcher to interpret all the conflicting information about health, nutrition and weight-loss and give you the straight goods.
I love working out every day and one of my greatest creative outlets and pleasures is cooking and baking healthy food for myself and my family.
I have a BA and MA in sociology, as well as a PhD in Exercise Sciences from the University of Toronto. I also have a Masters in Counselling Psychology and a special certificate in infertility counselling.
I currently work as a psychotherapist, with a focus on infertility and pregnancy loss counselling. I also help people with anxiety, depression, weight-loss, low self-esteem and relationship issues. For more about my practice, please visit my professional site at www.ericaberman.ca . I am passionate about my work and feel blessed to have a career that I love.
I live in Toronto with my husband, Adam, and our two young daughters, and in case you care, here are some things you may not know about me:
- I am a morning person and I am asleep most nights by 10pm.
- I love getting up at 5am to workout. I am currently into strength training and MMA fitness DVDs.
- I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day and never get sick of it.
- Beans, oatmeal, greens, and apples are among my favorite foods. I am not vegan or vegetarian, but try to eat a mostly plant-based diet.
- The only thing I do not eat ever (or almost ever) is refined flour and sugar and fast food...and rarely do I eat red meat.
- I do eat A LOT. When people see tiny me eating I always get teased. I've just always had a big appetite.
- I hate flying.
- I hate hot weather. Hate it. For me anything above 20 Celsius (68F) is too hot!
- I love autumn and everything that goes with it.
- I have crazy, vivid dreams every night and I usually remember them.
- I am really funny. At least I think so. Adam tells me I am the ONLY one who thinks so.
- My guilty pleasures are beer and HGTV shows.
- My greatest talent is making an exceptionally realistic pig 'oink' sound. So far, it hasn't gotten me far in life.
- I have no real photography skills so you won't find pretty pictures here.