Skip to main content

Timeless Step Workout DVD


So, despite my love of step and longing to find a good step workout DVD that doesn't require a PhD in Dancing with the Stars to be able to follow, I gave up my search. I decided it just probably didn't exist.

The world has moved on from step to other fitness trends. You know how much I hate trends. Social evolution is not the same as progress. Often we move from one trend to another because of social, cultural or economic influences, not because we are improving on what we had in the past. The fitness industry is a perfect example of that!

Step is such an amazing cardio, fat burning, low-impact, weight bearing workout, yet we have since moving to spinning, barre and boot camps and tossed the step aside.  Why why why? What makes step better than spinning, for example, is that spinning is a singular, repetitive movement and not weight bearing. With the step you move in all planes and directions and therefore work all the muscles in your lower body.

A few weeks ago after doing one of my Cathe DVDs that has a traditional step cardio warm-up, and realizing just how much I miss doing step, I decided to start searching again.

Low and behold, I finally found it! Finally, a step cardio DVD accessible to the masses! No degree in dance lessons required.

Its called Timeless Step Workout by fitness celebrity, Kathy Smith. I felt like she was reading my mind, with the title...step is timeless!

Admittedly, there are some aspects of this DVD that are mucho dated. When I turned it on, Adam exclaimed, "Oh my god, what is up with that guy in the back, does he think its the 1970s?" So I replied, "Okay, yeah, he has a mullet, so what?" Adam exclaimed, "No, I'm talking about his short shorts."

Yeah, its bad. The women are all wearing thong spandex. Adam couldn't believe it when I told him I wore thong spandex for years. With tights on underneath, mind you, seriously, I'm not a sicko!

The workout has a warm-up, and then 3 segments: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced, and abs and toning at the end. You can do all the segments to make it a more advanced full hour workout.

It is super straightforward choreography, so if you want a Dancing with the Stars kind of thing, this is not for you. Instead, check out these DVDs.  It is good for beginner steppers as it slowly introduces the basic moves and progresses the level of difficulty. Nevertheless, by adjusting step height, and adding ankle and/or wrist weights (like I did), you will definitely start sweating and get your heart rate up. Its perfect for me to shove into the DVD player at 5am when my brain isn't fully awake yet. No wasted time staring at the screen trying to follow ridiculously complicated moves and getting pissed off because I am not getting a workout whatsoever. Its fun, and a good workout, and for me, that makes it perfect.

Remember, the best workout for you, is the one you'll do, so make it fun. Working out should not be a punishment, it should be a celebration of what you can do.

Have a happy, healthy and active weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste