Skip to main content

Strong & Sweaty DVD Review


Good morning, its Workout Wednesday here today and I'm reviewing some DVDs for you.

I waited patiently all fall for the new DVD set I ordered from Cathe. Turns out by late fall, they meant it would arrive after Christmas while we were in Florida!

Sadly, I am disappointed :(

First off, I don't find any of the videos as challenging as a few of hers I have already, and I guess I was expecting them to be. Second, one thing I have loved about her DVDs is that almost every one includes an awesome unique ab workout. All the DVDs in this set use the SAME ab routine. Blah, what a cop-out! Third, a few of her past DVDs have used real music, but most of it in this series is instrumental yuckiness, and I didn't recognize a single song.

Here is what is included (I have not yet opened the cycling DVD, but hope to one day):


PHA Training

PHA (peripheral heart action training) maximizes the amount of blood that circulates to your upper and lower body as you complete a sequence of resistance exercises. With PHA training, you alternate between upper and lower body resistance training exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up, for cardiovascular and fat-burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises, maximizes blood flow to all parts of your body and reduces build-up of lactic acid. By reducing lactic acid, you're able to train hard without being forced to stop due to the burn.

Total Body Giant Sets

This workout will utilize giant sets to fatigue every muscle group while rep pattern and weight variations keep your heart pumping and muscles firing.

Boot Camp

This workout consists of six rounds of one minute cardio, upper body, lower body and core segments. 

Cardio Slam

A combination of high impact, low impact and blasts both on and off the step.

Ramped Up Upper Body

This workout will combine slow and heavy reps with light high reps to keep the muscles confused and working at maximum capacity. 

Cycle Sweat


Cardio workout on a spin bike.

While this set didn't meet my expectations, this is not to say its bad. Its just not what I expected or wanted. From what I briefly read about it, I thought it would be a lot of loaded cardio (using weights to increase intensity of cardio moves). The only DVD that does that is Cardio Slam. I do really like that workout, though it isn't as intense as her HiiT and plyo workouts I already have.  The cycle workout, obviously will only appeal to people with spin bikes at home, and given how expensive they are, I am sure there aren't tons. We have one and I've used it once in all the years we've had it. But I do want to try the spin DVD one day. The others are all strictly strength-based, and I prefer to do that training on my own.

So it may not be best suited for me, however, this is a fantastic workout series, for anyone wanting to get stronger and fitter at home, who has no idea where to start with weight training. You will need a lot of equipment though. She uses a Body Pump-like bar with weights, but you can use just barbells. But you will need lots of weights, and heavy ones. It really is worth the investment if you don't want to join a gym!

While many of her DVDs are super advanced and not at all appropriate for a beginner, these DVDs all work for beginners to intermediates. As a beginner, you will struggle and have to use very light weight, but then as you get fitter, you can keep increasing your weight. You can also customize every single workout, picking and choosing segments/circuits, to make them more/less intense, body part focused, or shorter for when you have less time. It really is a perfect set for someone who wants a program they can use long-term as they progress. From Cathe's website you can even download a program that will give you a workout schedule. Its like having your own personal trainer!

So do I recommend it? Absolutely, though not for someone like myself, who prefers to do their own weight training routines or is looking for something more cardio-based that will really kick your ass.

I have shared this post with the #motivateme linkup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste