Skip to main content

Jillian Michaels: Banish Fat Boost Metabolism: DVD Review

 
Its Workout Wednesday! Which just means its Wednesday and I'm posting about fitness...

One of the difficult things about being a mutant fitness warrior is that you find yourself always looking for the next challenge.  Stop laughing at me!

Okay, so I'm not an Ironman athlete, but I have to work within my own limitations folks!  Due to my lacking coordination, speed or gift for anything sport-related, not to mention my funny gait (I walk like a penguin, just like my dad - who, by the way, ended up needing a hip replacement by age 50), I can't do intense endurance activities like running, so I really have to rely on HIIT training or plyometrics to get my heart rate up.  And while I may be a klutzy goof-ball, my heart really is highly conditioned...and it takes a lot to challenge me.

Of course, the other issue is that I get bored extremely quickly, and need to change up my workouts regularly.  I've gone through Insanity (find it boring, and too repetitive), The Insane Asylum (requires too much coordination and more space than we have in our workout area), Tapout XT (awesome, but I'm tired of it), UFC Fit (fantastic, but most of the workouts are strength-based and I prefer to do heavy lifting on my own...I do the non-weight ones regularly and love them!).  I also have a plethora of other workout programs I've collected.  I adore Tae Bo, but I don't find the workouts to offer much in the way of cardio, I just enjoy them and love how they work the core and legs.  So I am constantly looking for really high intensity workouts that will seriously kick my butt, but I am finding that quite difficult.

I decided to give Jillian Michaels another chance by going back in time and trying one of her holder DVDs (2009) from before she got really obnoxious.  Her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism certainly promises a lot!  Though anything that promises a loss of 5 lbs a week is sketchy.  No one should even aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week if they want to do it safely and keep it off!  But anyways, it sounded intense.

Unfortunately, while this is a solid workout, it wasn't the advanced workout I was hoping for.  The DVD is about 55 minutes long, with the last 6 or so minutes devoted to stretching and cool down.  Its circuit style, like most of Michael's workouts, so you do each exercise twice.  Following the warm up you do a kick-box inspired circuit, followed by one of plyo and one of core exercises, then again another kick-box inspired circuit, then plyo, then core.  I would say its more intermediate than advanced.  But the good thing is that you can modify it up or down as needed.  She gives variations for beginners, and I have found that by adding weights (the workout doesn't require any equipment), I am able to boost the intensity.

If you aren't a total powerhouse like myself (stop laughing!), then you may really find this a solid, challenging workout.  I like that its functional exercises and easy to follow.  For me, its all about functional and easy to follow, twirls and whirls that make me dizzy and confused, just frustrate me.  So no, I am not interested in anything dance-y.  When I taught fitness classes (high impact, low impact, step, etc.) back in the dark ages, my classes were always what you would call 'athletic' or closer to boot camp style than 'aerobics'.   Remember, I am not a master of coordination.  You have no idea how many times I have given myself a black eye or all sorts of other injuries because of my clumsiness!!

Anyhow, despite all this, I do recommend this DVD, especially because Michaels keeps her attitude in check and it can be adapted to most fitness levels.

Stay tuned as I continue to review DVDs on my quest to find the best butt kicker out there...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste