Skip to main content

Setting Boundaries

 
One thing I really suck at is setting boundaries.  This means I am really bad at disciplining my children and asserting myself with others for my own sake.  Both issues are due to my inherent lack of ability to stand up for myself.  I am a total doormat, whether its with my children, clients or salespeople. 

Funny thing though, I am very good at advocating for the sake of others.  After all, I have dedicated my career to helping others.  This is something I am passionate about.  I can think of many situations in the past where I've confidently gone to bat for others.  But even the idea of confronting people in order to assert my rights, or setting boundaries to protect myself, gets me anxious. I have spoken out several times in workplace situations, on my own behalf, but only because (1) I felt I had nothing to lose, and (2) I was speaking out against something (or someone) that affected not only myself, but many others too. This, I have come to realize, is due to low self-esteem issues and that nasty, negative voice in my head that always says, "You are not deserving of this (whatever it is I want to ask for)!"

On a daily basis, this affects me most with my parenting.  The girls don't respect my authority at all, and its only recently I've realized just how obvious it is that I lack confidence in my parenting abilities.  They obviously have picked up on this as they don't listen to me, are not scared of me, and often don't even pay attention to me.  I have noticed that when they are really pushing me, I become really anxious, my mind goes blank, and often I will defer to Adam (either call him to intervene virtually, or to ask his advice about what I should do). Ugh, this is not good!

How true is this...:

In general, I would describe myself as someone who highly values kindness.  I cringe at the idea of being perceived as unkind.  This is what makes it difficult to assert myself outside the home.  While I don't think this is the issue with my parenting struggles (although Adam sometimes tells me I'm being too nice), I do think my general inability to assert myself has left me with inadequate skills in this regard with my kids. 

So what am I going to do about this? Well, like most things I am seeking help with, I am going to start by researching and reading everything I can get my hands on. 

I hope to find some answers and as soon as I do, I'll get back to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste