Skip to main content

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life ~ Confucius

 
This summer Adam and I started watching the series, House of Lies, with Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell. Its a fantastic show, but very cynical and rather depressing.  Most of the characters are positively vile and it reveals the dark underbelly of the corporate consulting industry.
 
Watching it was a reminder of all the reasons I hated the corporate world and working an office job.  Ah man, it was never for me!  My first job out of university and I was clinically depressed within 2 weeks. 
 
I realize I am unbelievably lucky.  So many people dislike their jobs, but are unable to leave them.  Because of my incredibly supportive husband, who has a stable job and health benefits, I was able to transition to an entirely new career.  One that is unstable and doesn't pay well, but that I LOVE.  I love my work and I am so grateful for that because for so long I thought that was an impossibility.  I went down the entirely wrong road, and I blame both my parents (for emphasizing prestige and stability as important factors when considering a career) and myself (for letting fear and self-doubt hold me back from pursuing what I should have in the first place - med school or a PhD in clinical psychology).
 
Nevertheless, I still managed to get to a place I want to be. I am self-employed, have a flexible work schedule, work with people, help people, which gives me a great sense of fulfillment and have a career that always challenges me both professionally and personally, which helps me grow, not only as a counsellor, but as a wife, mother and friend too.
 
If you don't love your work, I encourage you to explore your options.  Its never too late and you never know what's possible until you look!  Its so important to get intrinsic satisfaction from your job, after all, you spend more hours doing it than virtually anything else.  You spend more time at your job than you do with your family for goodness sakes!  Job strain and dissatisfaction can have a negative impact on both your physical and mental health.  If you don't love the actual work you do, at least find a pleasant environment to do it in.  For women, in particular, having positive relationships with coworkers is extremely important.
 
Unfortunately, one of the reasons we often fall into jobs we dislike is that we are forced to make decisions that affect our career path when we are too young to know what we want or to fully understand the implications of our decisions. 
 
Because of my own experiences, here are some of the things I plan to discuss with the girls when they are considering their post-secondary education options: (I wish someone had asked me these questions when I was 17 and choosing university programs!)
 
1. What do you enjoy doing/what is your passion?
2. Are you comfortable with risk/financial instability?
3. Do you want to work flexible hours or 9-5?
4. Do you want to sit at a desk/computer most of the day?
5. Do you want to work for others or for yourself?
6. How important is income?
7. Where do you want to live?
 
Of course many 17 year olds may not know the answers yet, but I think if they keep going back to these questions as they move forward this could help guide their decision making.
 
Do you love your job? If you could do anything, what would you do?
 
The moment that you realize that you've been at work for only an hour.:

Comments

  1. Did you know that the knowledge of who you truly are (and which career you could actually get paid to shine like a star at in this lifetime) is no further away than your own DNA - "locked in" at the exact time you were born?

    Did you know that this knowledge, which you've been carrying around with you in "code form" from birth, only needs to be plugged into a special calendar to reveal it's secrets to you in pure form?

    Did you know that, for over 1,750 years people used the secret code inside this calendar for deciphering who they were and where their special talents lay,

    But that this secret code was lost when the Roman calendar was imposed on the "New World"...which is the same one we all use today? Click Above Link For More...

    >>>Click Here To Know More About Power Quadrant System<<<


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste