Skip to main content

Turning Off Breast Cancer & Healing Smoothies: Book Reviews


When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998, I freaked out.  I thought it was an inevitable early death sentence for both her and I.  Even before then, cancer was always something I feared.  When I heard the news, it was like my almost phobia was being realized.  I experienced extreme anxiety, as well as anger and resentment.  "Why my mother?" "Why me?" I kept wondering.  Feeling a complete loss of control, I decided to research causes and risk factors to see if there was anything my mom could do to increase her chance of survival and what I could do to reduce my chances of getting breast cancer.  Unfortunately, what I found was that so many things had been linked with breast cancer (some which are definite correlates, others which are urban legends), that I ended up hysterical, feeling like the entire world was toxic and basically breast cancer was almost an inevitability for me, and, actually, for almost every woman on the planet.  I made a number of significant lifestyle changes (cut down on alcohol consumption, eliminated red meat) and started trying to eat things that were supposedly good for prevention.  I was obsessed, and stressed, and miserable.  One day while I tried to gag down a smoothie (remember, I hate smoothies!) full of gritty flax seeds, disgusting greens powder, and a host of other stuff, I realized I'd gone too far.  My efforts to extend my life were taking out all the joy of my life.  I knew I had to find balance.  I still try to limit alcohol and rarely eat red meat, but I have made a conscious effort not to think about it too much.  I eat and extremely healthy diet, maintain a healthy weight, sleep well, have never smoked, and exercise a lot.  Those are the most important things you can do in terms of preventing disease and premature death, and I can do all those things while loving every minute and mouthful I take in.

So I was a bit nervous to review nutritionist, Daniella Chace's book Turning Off Breast Cancer. Would this book just re-ignite my fears and create anxiety? Well, the short answer is yes. But after taking a deep breath, I was able to reflect on a lot of what's in the book and take it with a grain of salt.  Her general recommendations are sound: eat unprocessed foods, sleep enough, exercise, maintain a healthy weight, limit alcohol, don't smoke, etc...geez, sounds a lot like what I already do!  Some of her advice, however, is a little far reaching. 

Chace has a huge reference section in the back, so she has clearly researched a lot, and used mostly credible, peer reviewed data, but she makes the leap, that many health experts caution against: since an isolated micronutrient kills cancer cells in a laboratory petrie dish, we can assume that taking supplements will prevent or treat cancer in the human body. 

Some things are a bit ridiculous, like insisting on a vegan diet.  She talks a lot about the growth hormones in dairy, but we don't add them to dairy in Canada, so if you are here, you need not worry about that.  Also, while I agree that there is some pretty compelling evidence about the risks of saturated fat and red meat related to cancer, I don't see why moderate amounts of eggs, poultry and fish are not allowed.

More frightening is the discussion of environmental toxins.  The link between many of these compounds and cancer is still unknown, and often avoidance is difficult or even impossible, which will just create a great deal of anxiety for people.  I'm not saying don't avoid this stuff if you can, but I also don't think people should drive themselves crazy and feel like they have to live inside a bubble.  It also pisses me off that she recommends chelation therapy to remove heavy toxins from your body, since this practice is discredited by most doctors, and can, in fact, be very dangerous.

Now, I do strongly believe that we can influence our personal health through our own action, and this has been backed up by the recent discovery of epigenetics, which Chace discusses.

Epigenetics is how lifestyle (nutrition, exposure to toxins, etc.) and experience can affect gene expression (infographic is from her website:



But we also know that cancer, and even breast cancer, is many different diseases (she discusses the different types and customizes her recommendations accordingly), and often times they occur randomly, and seemingly just due to 'bad luck'. To believe otherwise just becomes a blame-the-victim exercise.

Also, like so many health experts, Chace's perspective is very elitest.  Health is determined to a very large degree, based on socioeconomic status.  Disadvantaged groups usually have poorer health and poorer health care.  Her recommendations assume you have lots of resources for fresh, organic food, expensive supplements and alternative treatments.

In her accompanying book, Healing Smoothies, Chace provides a zillion recipes for smoothies, based on her cancer prevention and recovery principles.


What I like is that there is no added sweetener in any of these (although if you are used to sweet smoothies you may have to add some...like xylitol or stevia), and she suggests using frozen cubes of green tea instead of plain ice cubes, which I think is very clever.  What I don't like is that they all sound a bit too similar...even the 'protein smoothies' use just 2 tbsp. of protein powder, which is the same as all the other smoothies.  But I will admit my biases, that, as I mentioned, I hate smoothies (I prefer to chew my food), and that I rarely use recipes for anything, and certainly don't feel like I need them for smoothies.  But I know most people feel differently. 

I do think smoothies are probably a great option for people going through cancer treatment who may be experiencing nausea and have a loss of appetite.  In fact, my good friend who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last year is a big fan of smoothies so I am going to give her this recipe book because I think she'll love it.

So do I recommend this book? I do think people who are healing from breast cancer or at risk may benefit from this book. But just make sure you remember that eating certain foods and taking certain supplements are no guarantee.  I think making higher level lifestyle changes like I mentioned before are more important (quit smoking, exercise, limit alcohol, etc.). Also, be sure to speak with your physician first before taking any supplements, even natural ones!

Disclosure: The publisher sent me these books, but all opinions on this blog are my own.

Comments

  1. Am Richard, I am here to testify about a great herbalist  man who cured my wife of breast cancer. His name is Dr Imoloa. My wife went through this pain for 3 years, i almost spent all i had, until i saw some testimonies online on how Dr. Imoloa cure them from their diseases, immediately i contacted him through. then he told me the necessary things to do before he will send  the herbal medicine. Wish he did through DHL courier service, And he instructed us on how to apply or drink the medicine for good two weeks. and to greatest surprise before the upper third week my wife was relief from all the pains, Believe me, that was how my wife was cured from breast cancer by this great man. He also have powerful herbal medicine to cure diseases like: Alzheimer's disease, parkinson's disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumor, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disc Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Neoplasms , chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioral disorder, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, Autoimmune inflammatory media arthritis ed. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, alcohol spectrum feta, dysthymic disorder, eczema, tuberculosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease, lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis ABC, syphilis, diarrhea, HIV / AIDS, Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, addison's disease, chronic pain, Crohn's pain, cystic fibrosis, fibromyalgia, inflammatory Bowel disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major depression, Malignant melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Rheumatoid arthritis. You can reach him Email Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com / whatsapp +2347081986098

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste