Skip to main content

Reality TV


On Wednesday, I took my mother-in-law and a friend of mine to see a taping of the Steven and Chris show.  This is CBC's daytime lifestyle show.  I watch it during the week sometimes, while I eat lunch, if I am at home.

I like it because they are sweethearts, and I can honestly say they really are like that in person.  It totally comes across how genuine they are when you see them in person. I snapped that pic on a filming break as they were answering audience questions.

That being said, watching a taping of a television show is a great reminder of how misleading the media can be.

Shows like this often make me feel a bit inadequate.  The fashion models, the clothes, the celebrity guests, the décor features...I am no fashion plate, nor am I a DIYer!  I love watching this stuff, but I wear very simple clothes, have a very simply decorated home, and although I love to cook, I certainly don't have a knack for presentation nor 'artistry on the plate'. I just like food that tastes good that I can shove into my mouth!

When watching them set up the segments, however, you see just how much work goes into every single detail.  Literally a TEAM of staff sets up the kitchen counter for the cooking demo, and arranges the food on the plates.  Make up and hair artists primp every tiny aspect of the guests and hosts, and a guy waving a piece of paper at the audience prompts us to either clap or cheer wildly, whether we would actually do that or not.  Everything is planned, arranged, and manipulated.  No wonder my life doesn't look so shiny and perfect!

And that's thing, when it comes to television, or media in general, there are only shades of reality.  Even the news is not always an accurate representation of the truth.  When Adam was in Ottawa during the Parliament Hill shootings, he said the situation was blown out of proportion by the media. 

Ironically, one of the segments on the Steven and Chris show that was being taped while we were there was with their parenting experts panel.  They were discussing this case about the "Free Range" parents who were charged by police for allowing their 10 and 6-year olds to walk home alone from the park.  The psychotherapist was saying how ridiculous this is (I agree!) and how the media and constantly increasing exposure to media, has completely distorted our perceptions of risk and danger.  I couldn't agree more.

So whether you are cruising Instagram, Facebook or television shows, remember to take everything you see and hear with a grain of salt! Just not too many, because too much sodium isn't healthy ;)

Today is a crazy, busy work day, and I also work tomorrow.  Then on Sunday Adam is taking Big A to see the Junos in Hamilton, as an early birthday present...she is so excitied!!  I am taking Little A and her best friend to the aquarium.  Have a lovely weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste