Skip to main content

Making Waves

funny swimming picture - pool lanes

Hi and welcome to the start of a new week!

This weekend Big A officially passed Swim Kids 10!  In case you are not familiar with these levels, this means she is now ready to start Bronze Star level...even though at age 8, she isn't eligible to pass Bronze Star for another 3 years, until she is 11.  I am so proud of her, she is such an amazing swimmer.  Something I can never say about myself.  So far, she has no interest in joining a swim team, and I can't blame her, I was never interested in competing either.

I did love swimming as a young kid, but then there was a point where I stopped enjoying it.  I actually remember the moment.  The swim instructor threw weights into the deepest part of the pool and asked us to retrieve them.  I dove down and remember if felt like miles just to get to the bottom.  I struggled and ended up having to come up for breath before I got the weight.  In the end I got it, but something about the whole experience freaked me out.  And that was it.

Then, of course, add all the appearance-related insecurities of puberty to the mix and getting into a bathing suit because something I had no interest in doing.  Even now, I hate getting into a bathing suit, though pulling on tight spandex workout clothes to teach a fitness class is no problem for me.  But seriously, spandex pants and tank are one thing...a bathing suit is like wearing nothing but underwear and a bra!

I do get the benefits of swimming though and I actually love aquafit.  I did mom and baby aquafit with Little A for months when she was an infant and was really surprised how challenging it can be.  But its also very therapeutic to be in the water. If my muscles are really sore from a workout, soaking in a pool for a bit always makes me feel better.

The kids both adore swimming, but I still don't.  Aside from having to wear a bathing suit, I also find most pools too cold (which is weird because I am usually always too warm), and get grossed out by dirty pool decks and change rooms.  Blech!  Oh, and I absolutely hate the smell of chlorine.  Like it makes me gag.  Luckily for the girls, they have an awesome dad who will pretty much take them swimming whenever they want.

Swimming is the only activity we insist the girls do, so its good they love it.  Adam and I believe it is an important life skill to have.  I am really hoping Big A will go on to do her life guarding training because that is such a great job for a kid.  Here in Toronto, there are tons of pools and splash pads that offer youth summer jobs that pay relatively well.  But I know if she isn't interested in that, I will have to not push it.

I fully intend on bringing my bathing suit to Florida and this year the intention is to even get in the pool and swim with the kids at least once.  That's the intention, anyways!

I am so glad both girls enjoy being active, and I hope that Adam and I are setting a good example for them.  My parents had little interest in physical activity as adults, so in some ways its surprising that my brother and I are both so active (he's more into sports as opposed to fitness though).  That being said, its important not to push kids too hard and turn them off, so aside from swimming, we let the girls choose what they want to do, if anything.  Big A loves extracurriculars and is doing dance (tap/jazz) and gymnastics along with swimming, while Little A also does gymnastics.  I think Big A would do more if we let her, but frankly its too challenging to fit all these activities in, especially now that getting around Toronto is such a complete nightmare.

Have a great Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste