Skip to main content

I Am the Luckiest Woman

Say hello to my little friend...


Okay Adam may not love vegan food nor giving me back rubs, but he is still a pretty awesome husband.  He decided I should have a high speed blender ASAP.  Now granted, my $30 Big Boss has been on its way to dying for a while (blade got loose so liquid would leak out bottom into the motor (not good!), but these things are an investment!  That being said, I've been using it pretty much daily since getting it.  The girls want smoothies, I want coffee frappes and I've been pureeing fruits and veggies and even making baked goods in it.  Oh my, it totally rocks!  I have also been using it, whenever possible, instead of my Kitchen Aid food processor because it is so much easier to clean...which is a huge added bonus, in my mind.

So the weekend in New York was bittersweet.  It was nice to see family I haven't seen in a long time, but it also made me sad as usually my grandmother would be there when I would see these cousins.  Ironically, the last few years since dementia struck and she was moved to the nursing home, I would just feel like she had no quality of life and it seemed so incredibly tragic for a woman who was, up until that point, so active and vibrant.  Yet since she passed away, I can only remember her as she used to be, which makes me miss her terribly.

The 3 things that everyone at the funeral agreed about that made my Grandma Ruth so incredibly special were:
1. Incredibly smart and intellectually gifted.  She had a college degree, which is unusual for a woman of her generation and she aspired to have a career, but it never happened because of family responsibilities.
2. She was very giving.  She gave up her career aspirations when her younger sister had a stroke in her 30s and cared for her and her 2 sons (their father was already dead).  She then took care of both her parents when they became ill.  Also, many cousins reported that she was their biggest confidant in the family, and they would always go to her with their problems and concerns.
3. She was breathtakingly beautiful.

New York City will never be the same for me either.  NYC was my grandmother and my grandmother was NYC. She knew the city so well.  Until she got sick she walked the city as much as she could and took full advantage of all the cultural activities it has to offer.

I know she was in her 90s, but she was someone that, somehow, you always figured would be there.  Everyone at the funeral said this too...

I guess all I can do is be grateful to have had her in my life as long as I did!

Okay, so here I am, back to life in Toronto.  At least I can drown my sorrows in cooking and baking healthy food, one of my favorite past times. 

Between the Blendtec and our Sodastream, I am in food heaven right now.  What are you cooking with these days?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste