Skip to main content

Ultimate Booty Workouts: Book Review

Available now! Order your copy today!

Well good morning on this bloody cold March Monday.  How was your weekend?  Ours was nice and quiet aside from some sledding, swimming (indoors!), a birthday party and errands.  I didn't even have to work Saturday.  Word on the street is that this may be the last week of freezing cold temps.  Thank goodness, because like every other North American, I'm freakin' sick of this, and ready to enjoy a few days of spring before we move right into the blazing hot summer (which I'll complain about just as bitterly).

Now onto discussing butts.

Since I now do almost all my workouts at home, I love getting new ideas for how to change things up.  So I was thrilled to receive a review copy of Ultimate Booty Workouts.

The author, Tamara Grand, is a PhD, a certified personal trainer, a mom and a Canadian with her very own blog!  Ha, turns out we have a lot in common!  Of course, her blog is a whole lot prettier than mine.  Unfortunately for me, she lives across the country in beautiful British Columbia where she is lucky enough to be enjoying far more moderate temps this winter.

Part I of the book provides background on the musculature of the lower body and the benefits of strength training for women.  I strongly believe that women should strength train and it irks me that so many women are afraid to, so I am very glad she included this part.  This section also includes a brief overview of proper nutrition for strength training, some general nutrition guide lines and 2 recipes for wholesome, homemade protein bars.  Her recommendations are sensible and evidence based and do not subscribe to any trendy diets.  So I love that.

Part II of the book explains how to use the book to create your training program.  Grand describes the equipment required, suggests how to integrate the workout into your existing routine, and recommends a basic guide for progression of your workouts.  This section also explains how to measure progress and discusses the importance of rest and recovery.  Grand also includes definitions for key terminology and tips for getting the most out of your workout.

Next, Grand lays out the phases for strength training progression:

1. Setting the foundation
2. Building muscle
3. Leaning and cutting

For each phase, she offers at least one sample program with exercises, and suggested number of reps, sets and rest.  Altogether, it is a 12 week program.  Once you have completed it, she gives several options for what to do next to continue to make progress.

Part 3 provides photos and descriptions of how to execute each exercise.  Now, I didn't learn anything new in this section, all the exercises are already familiar to me, but then again, I have been training for a very long time.  For most people who have not, many of these will be new to you, or at least some of the variations on the basics (squat, lunge, etc.) will be new. 

Following the strength exercises, Grand includes a section with Tabata (HIIT) movements (plyometrics, burpees, etc.).

Part 4 is dedicated entirely to warming up and cooling down.  Grand explains why they are important components of a workout, and gives you exercises and stretches. 

Finally, the appendix at the back has some logs for you to record your workouts.

Overall, it is a very sound book that is perfect for someone wanting to focus on lower body strength training and conditioning on their own (without the help of a personal trainer).  The program can be done at home or in a gym, which makes it very versatile.

To be honest, my only concern is that - unlike myself - most of the world looks to 'apps' for everything now.  Personally, I still prefer books.  So I wonder whether this book will get a lot of attention or if most people will just go online to get this kind of thing.  If you are old school, like myself, and keen to learn more about strength training for your lower half, this is a very good option.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste