Skip to main content

The View from NYC

Good Monday morning!

My little jaunt to NYC last week was just what I needed.  I never get sick of that wonderful city.  The history, the energy, the food, the friendly people...

The trip in was a little nuts.  It was St Patrick's Day.  Adam warned me it might not be the best day to travel, but I said, "It's just St Patrick's Day, its not like its some major holiday or something!"  Hehe, I was so wrong!  Between getting off the plane and getting to my hotel, it was 3 hours!  That's mostly thanks to closed off streets in Manhattan for parades, performances and crowds of drunken revelers wearing green.  Even the airport shuttle driver was dressed up and, frankly, he was so short and squat he really did look like an Irish leprechaun...with a German accent.  It's a miracle I didn't barf because he drove like a complete maniac and some of the other passengers brought in fast food to eat, which stank up the whole vehicle.  Gag!

Fortunately, things went smoothly after that.  I was in a suite hotel so I could make my breakfasts and lunches in my room.  I was lucky enough to find the Fairway grocery market, which is FANTASTIC!!!  Oh my, I think I may stay in this hotel (The Marmara Manhattan) again, just so I have an excuse to visit Fairway.  I was in absolute gourmet/healthy food heaven!!  And the prices were relatively reasonable too.

I was thrilled to find natural maple extract, something I have not been able to find in Canada for years.  Makes sense since we are the friggin' biggest producers of maple syrup for goodness sakes!!  I picked up 2 bottles, plus a bar of Lily's stevia sweetened chocolate for each of the girls.


Upper East Side, Manhattan, NY

After my 3 hour trek to the hotel, I was pretty wiped, so I just got food, and hung out at the hotel and had an early night.  If that sounds boring, than you are clearly not the parent of 2 young children.  It was glorious.

Tuesday I went to see my Grandma Ruth, Uncle Ed, cousins Elyse and Martin visiting from Albany, and their son, David, visiting from Chicago (where he's doing a medical residency!).  We hung out with my grandma, who was mostly sleepy the whole time, and then went out for lunch at a quintessential New York diner.  The kind we don't have too many of in Canada.  We're not really a diner culture...

Later, I went to see a movie (another treat I only ever seem to do when I travel).  I wanted to see Monument Men, but it wasn't playing at the right time, so I saw The Single Mom's Club by Tyler Perry.  It was okay...a few funny moments.

Wednesday I went to see my grandma and we had a great visit.  She slept for the first half hour but then got up for lunch and was very alert.  She introduced me to everyone as her granddaughter, which is good because on past visits she sometimes calls me her niece.  She invited me to sit on the sofa with her in the hallway of the nursing home with her after lunch and is still feisty enough to make biting remarks about people's behinds as they passed.  Not that I condone that, of course, but its somewhat comforting to know that part of her is still in there somewhere.

After I left my grandma, I took the subway down to the Jewish Heritage Museum


I enjoyed it, but I think after seeing the one in Washington, D.C., its hard for anything else to compare.  It does have a lovely contemplation room overlooking the water where you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Then I walked up to Tribeca.  I went past the 9/11 memorial and thought about visiting, but it was absolutely crazy with long line ups and, to be honest, I was hungry and getting food was my priority, so I saved it for a future visit.  Eventually I made my way back to the hotel and ran myself a hot bubble bath (again, a total rare treat for any parent!).  I made dinner and put myself to bed for my last night in the city.

Thursday I didn't have time to do much besides walk around the corner to find little gifts for the girls, before the shuttle came to pick me up.  As sad as it always is to leave, it's also nice to know that no matter how many times I return, there will always be more to see and do.  What an amazing city!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste