Skip to main content

The Gym-Free Journal: Book Review

Funny New Year's Ecard: It's time to renew that gym membership we're never going to use again.

There was a time when I thought it was not possible to get fit without a well-equipped gym.  Until the end of my pregnancy with Big A, I spent a whole lot of time in them, teaching fitness classes and training.  Spin classes, step, weight training, cardio machines...I did it all.

But after having a baby, it was no longer feasible to get there every day, let alone stay to teach 2-3 fitness classes and lift weights.  I did manage to get there 2x week thanks to the JCC's babysitting service, and then I did some running outdoors or on our treadmill, and taught a spin class or two.  After a while, I realized I was actually fitter than I had been before I had Big A!  Then I had Little A and it got even more difficult to get to the gym.  Little A's nap schedule kept me relatively housebound for months, and she would not hear of me leaving her in a babysitting service (seriously, once I had the staff come and interrupt a spin class I was teaching because she was screaming so loudly!).   Since then, I have only been a once a week gym goer.

Basically, I have never looked back.  Aside from Sundays when I still teach a spin class at the JCC, I do all my workouts at home.  And I love it.  No waiting for machines, no having to work in with some stinky guy.  I can do what I want, when I want.  Granted we are very well equipped, but I don't even use our treadmill anymore and most of my strength training is done with free-weights and a stability ball.  So basically, what I am saying is you don't really need much equipment at all!

So I was stoked to receive a review copy of The Gym-Free Journal.

The Gym-Free Journal

Its a guide-book for creating your own workout routine you can do at home.  It provides a program and diagrams and descriptions of all the exercises, as well as logs to record your workouts and food intake. 

I can't say there is anything radically new or different in this book, but recording your daily habits is one of the most effective strategies for losing weight and reaching your goals, so this book can be a very helpful tool.  I know there are lots of online apps that do this sort of thing, but not everyone likes to do everything on a device.  So if you prefer pen and paper, this book may be for you.

Really, there is no excuse for being sedentary.  Anyone who says they don't have time, money, etc. is basically just saying they refuse to make fitness a priority.  You don't need much money, space, or time to get fit and healthy.  The key is consistency.  Find something you can do as often as possible over the long-term.  If getting to a gym doesn't fit your lifestyle, take it home!

Comments

  1. Wow, I can't wait to get this book. This is just what I need. I am trying to get healthy in all the ways a person can. I am reading the book, " Get Balanced, Get Blissed: Nourishment for Body, Mind, and Soul" http://liveblissnow.com/ by author Lynne Goldberg. It is helping me to make more conscious choices from a place of self-awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not so when you use artificial means and drugs for enhancement. Besides you learn a great deal by listening to your body and bodybuilding naturally.legal anabolic steroids

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste