Skip to main content

The Athlete's Cookbook: Book Review


When I was asked to review The Athlete's Cookbook, I agreed, but kinda figured it would be pretty unexciting...I expected it would be a meal plan and recipe book similar to what is often included in the DVD fitness programs like P90x, etc.

In fact, it does something a little different and unique: it tailors meal plans depending on your specific fitness goals: endurance, fat loss or strength building.  I have to admit, the book arrived at the perfect time.

Now, as I've said before, I have always had an unusually large appetite, especially considering my diminutive size (something I get teased about a lot), but for the past 2 months, even the usual massive amount of food has been leaving me with a gnawing hunger.  Even I have been astounded by my appetite.  It's been so significant, that I was actually starting to worry maybe I had some sort of parasite.  It finally hit me though: its the weight lifting! 

In September I rejigged my fitness routine to include less cardio and more strength training.  It never dawned on me to rejig my diet to go with it.  I know when you lift you need protein, but I figured I was getting enough.  When I did figure out that it was my workouts fueling this crazy hunger, I added more fat thinking that was what was lacking (I've been going through the tahini like you wouldn't believe!).  But according to the book, this wasn't the right strategy...and since I'm still starving all the time, I believe it.  The guidelines in the book suggest that I need to redistribute my protein consumption so I am eating more early in the day, since I do my workouts first thing in the morning.  Aha!

The book starts with a section on Eating for Performance, but really, even if you are not an athlete...or even particularly active, you can benefit from following their advice.  I love that the recommendations are evidence based, and not just following the latest low-carb, Paleo, gluten-free trendy nonsense.

This first section give you Top 10s for each macro: carbs, proteins, and fats.  They also have a Top 10 fat burning foods list, which, in my opinion, is iffy.  I think the research evidence is thinner on this side of things.  Fortunately, its all good food you should eat anyways (except the lean meat, seafood and dairy if you are vegetarian or vegan).

The next section: Eating Protocols, deals with food timing, pre and post exercise nutrition and hydration.

The Goals of the Meal Plan includes goals and strategies for each type of training, as well as optimal meal timing, and how to structure you meals and snacks based on macros.  They also provide meal timing options for both training and non-training days.

The book also provides some meal plans, based on your goals, using the featured recipes.  There is a lot of variety and lots of yummy options.  Of course, if you don't like to cook, this will not be the book for you.  But, frankly, I strongly believe everyone should be cooking the majority of their meals from scratch, so if you aren't, that would be a good place to start if you want to improve your health.

The final part of the book is the recipes.  There are recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as snacks and desserts.  Most look nutritious and tasty, but I do have a few criticisms.  First, they don't specify to use whole grain pastas, etc., and in my experience folks won't take the initiative to do so unless a recipe calls for it.  No one, even an athlete needs the blood sugar spike and empty calories of refined carbs.  Also, they liberally use honey in the recipes as a sweetener.  While honey is less processed than white sugar, it has the same effect on your blood sugar, and is just as full of empty calories.  I would like to see them use stevia or another natural sweetener that does not affect blood sugar.

Finally, there is an appendix with cooking tips, volume and weight conversions.

Overall, this book may be very helpful for you if you want to know how to optimize your fitness and health goals.  I would, however, modify the ingredients in some of the recipes as noted above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste