Skip to main content

Chewy Caramel Chocolate Chip Granola Bars


Its the start of another cold, snowy week here, but this morning the sun is shining bright.  I am happy to say our new breakfast rule is continuing to make mornings go much smoother.  We were out the door in good time today, which always puts me in a better mood.  The girls were also in good spirits, partially because they were thrilled to have one of their new favorite treats packed in their lunches.

This recipe I made for the girls got me the ultimate compliment from the girls: They thought they tasted as good as all the ones, "Made by big companies".  In other words, just as decadent as the sugar-filled nightmares you get at the grocery store.  Believe me, coming from them, this is a big compliment.  In fact, they taste so sweet and delicious, they were actually a bit surprised I let them eat them.  Well, no sense bursting their bubble and telling them these are healthy.  In fact, they are sugar-free, gluten-free, nut-free and vegan.  That can be our little secret!

I loved the idea of using a date-caramel base that Angela from Oh She Glows used in hers.  I also love that hers are sugar-free and nut-free (so the girls can take them to school), but hers are filled with seeds and seeds are a no-go for Little A, who classifies them in to the 'bits' category that she refuses to eat from.  [She was initially suspicious of the millet, because they "look like seeds", and, in fact, like quinoa, they are actually a seed, not a real grain, but once she tried them, she was smitten and didn't complain about these 'bits'.]

So I modified the recipe...quite a bit to come up with what I thought would be appealing for my kiddos.  These were a massive, massive success.  I'm pretty proud of myself, if I do say so myself.

I didn't have Medjool dates, so I used what I had and they worked perfectly.  You can use either kind, but Medjool are way more expensive than honey dates.  Whatever kind you use, just make sure they are pitted!!

Chewy Caramel Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (Inspired by this recipe)

2 cups dates
1 cup boiling water
2 tbls lucuma powder (optional)
1 dropper full of English Toffee stevia (or vanilla or plain*) liquid, or to taste
2 tbls chia seeds
2 cups oats (gluten-free, if necessary)
1 cup millet
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips

Cover dates with boiling water and soak until very soft.  Drain dates, reserving all the soaking liquid.  Stir chia seeds into 1/4 cup of hot soaking liquid and set aside.  Puree dates in food processor.  Add another 1/4 cup of date soaking liquid, lucuma powder (if using), and stevia and process until smooth.  Add oats and pulse until well combined.  Add millet and salt and pulse a few times until mixed.  Stir in chips by hand. 

Press mixture firmly and evenly into a parchment-lined 9x12 baking pan.  Bake at 350F for about 16 minutes.  Let cool completely and then cut into desired size bars.  Store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks (guaranteed they won't last that long!!).

*If you use plain stevia, add 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract.

I have submitted this recipe to this week's Gluten-Free Friday, Wellness Weekend, Saturday Night Fever, and Urban Naturale recipe roundups.

Comments

  1. Hi Erica,
    What an amazingly nutritious and delicious recipe for my favorite, grab and go snack! I love to stash a couple of healthy, homemade granola bars into my pocketbook or gym bag. It is such a pleasure to explore your blog. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delectable recipe at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste