Skip to main content

CAN FIT PRO Conference 2013 Day 2

Saturday was a very long day!  I arrived at the conference for a 9:30am Kangoo Jumps session.  You may recall me talking about them a few months ago in this post.  I have had them for years but not used them much.  I ran outside with them a few times, but I don't often have the opportunity to run outside, and I also worry - given the dufus that I am - that I'll fall and kill myself on the pavement.  I tried them on the treadmill and that was not an experience I enjoyed.  So I wanted to check out this training session to see how they are being used for group fitness.












First off, I discovered that the newer models are much lighter (2.5 lbs each) and more comfortable than mine!  The weight makes a big difference for a little person like me, but I suppose that just means they provide an even more challenging workout (trying to look for the silver lining here).  I have to say, doing aerobics-type movement with them on IS INCREDIBLY FUN!  I loved it.  I was really surprised by how much I loved it.  So much so, that I plan to buy a workout DVD online but first have to decide which one.  Unfortunately, they weren't selling any DVDs at the conference.  Honestly, if I had time to teach more classes, I would think about certifying to teach Kangoo Jump classes.  Really fun, a great workout, and relatively simple choreography for a dance-phobic person like myself. 

For the first time ever, I did a few yoga sessions at the conference.  I was trying to be really cautious about not overdoing it and I haven't had much time for my yoga practice lately.  I was also curious to learn more about YogaFit, which I have seen advertised all over the place.  As it turns out, it is like a corporatized version of yoga, or as they state on their website,"Yoga for the fitness industry".  One YogaFit class I attended (taught by Paul Golloro) was awesome: a moderate intensity flow class that stretched me out and recharged me for the rest of the day.    The other one was called YogaLean, taught by YogaFit founder, Beth Shaw.  I hate when people associate yoga with weight loss but I was curious to see what it was all about.  It actually is a very gentle yoga class and the "Lean" part refers to the focus on lowering stress hormones, which can affect metabolism and storage of fat.  True enough, but I still think the name is sort of false advertising and gives people the impression that doing some gentle yoga can help them lose weight (which it is not likely to do, particularly if you continue with other lifestyle factors contributing to weight gain/preventing weight loss).

I also attended a BOSU training session which introduced me to the BOSU Powerstax.  They are basically little platforms that increase the height of the BOSU (like risers for STEPs), and can also be used on their own (they are weighted with water inside them).

BOSU® POWERSTAX™ - Single Unit

Adam is rolling his eyes as he reads this because he's thinking, "Oh no, she's going to want one of those!"  Yes. Probably. Some day.  They were selling them at the Tradeshow for $85 but I didn't buy one.

I have to say, the conference left me feeling pretty proud of my fitness.  During the Todd Durkin session, I was paired with a tall, skinny, gorgeous, 27-year-old stay-at-home mother of 3 who teaches classes in a small town.  As 'old' as I felt compared to her, I kicked her ass in terms of strength and endurance.  I also held my own with the BOSU work (I use it so much as home, that I've gotten pretty good at it!), the Kangoo Jumps and the yoga.  Sometimes I worry that being my own trainer, I may be slacking more than I think, but I now feel more confident that I'm keeping myself on par.

Really, if there is anything I learn from this conference every year, it is that there is some type of fitness activity for EVERYONE regardless of age, body type, ability and interest.  Being active is critical to long-term physical and mental health and well-being and it's never to late to start.  As Nike says, "Just Do It!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste