Skip to main content

And The World Turns...



Over the past few weeks Little A seems to have made some dramatic developmental leaps.  She decided to potty train herself at night and now wakes up most mornings with a dry pull-up.  And with almost no input from Adam and I!  After an absolutely astonishing feeding frenzy she also appears to have grown an inch.  But most wonderfully, she has been at her very best.  The Little A that spreads joy everywhere she goes.  Happy, jolly, fun, spirited, affectionate and funny.  Aside from Halloween, prior to trick-or-treating, she has had no fits or tantrums.  Little things that would have set her off in the past have elicited no adverse response at all.  Although she generally saves all her bad behaviour for Adam and I, even her daycare teachers, have noticed that she is particularly agreeable lately.  It's been wonderful.

And so, parenting has become effortless and blissful.  NOT!

All of a sudden, Big A is copping a bad-ass attitude. It's as if she is 6-going-on-16!  She completely ignores me and is extremely obnoxious, frequently trying to provoke me or Little A into a battle.

She doesn't pull these stunts as often with Adam, likely because: (1) I am around more, and most often the one dealing with 'transitions' during the day, and, (2) I suck at handling these situations. My mind just goes blank as to what to say and do when I am in a state of shock and outrage at her behaviour.  I know I have to nip it in the bud immediately, give consequences, and follow through with them.  But for some reason, in the heat of the moment, I just freeze.  I really suck at disciplining.

I try to remind myself that this too shall pass, as most stages do.  It's just a bit surprising to be dealing with this so early on.  Big A really does act like a 'tween', she is trying to grow up so fast, it's really alarming me. She's taken to wearing a tank top under her shirts every day so that people will see the straps and think she's wearing a bra.  Good grief, she's only 6!!  It's actually a big worry for me that she will hit puberty really early, given the physical and psychological risks associated with precocious puberty for girls.  I really do not want that to happen.

Honestly, from talking to other parents, I have concluded that parenting, regardless of the age of your children, is never easy.  Every stage seems to have it's fair share of challenges, and no one can get it right all the time.  I guess the key to successful parenting is to try your best, keep your sense of humour, and take a moment to appreciate the wonder of having children and be grateful for every minute it doesn't kill you!

Enjoy your weekend.

Comments

  1. I love your take on parenting and you're definitely right. If it's not one thing, it's another and if you can get through it all with grace and a few laughs...then you've succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanne! As over-used as this saying is, parenting really is 'the most difficult and rewarding job there is!'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste