Skip to main content

My Annual Parenting Challenge

children are the only people that can bring you to the brink of insanity...

I could not be happier that it's Friday.  I am very glad to see this week end.

Adam has been away since Sunday.  This was the week that Adam goes to Ottawa for his annual work trip.  A whole week is a long time to be a single parent. 

I counsel many single women seeking donor insemination so they can have a child.  While I can easily see myself having done that if I'd found myself still single in my 30s or 40s, I don't think I would have made a great single mom.  Heck, I don't think I make a great mom period!

I am the first one to admit that parenting does not come easy to me.  I just don't have the personality traits or skills that are advantageous.  Don't get me wrong, I unconditionally love my children and I would, without question, give my life for them.  But I am an anxiety-prone, Type-A, goal oriented, perfectionist who lacks patience.  Not great characteristics for a parent.  Particularly when you have two extremely stubborn, strong-willed children.

When Little A was 6 months old and I was in the throws of post-partum anxiety and depression, this trip seemed catastrophic to me.  I suffered from extreme anxiety over Adam being away for a week for months leading up to his departure.  I simply felt overwhelmed and completely unable to cope.  But cope I did.  Of course.  It's easy to look back now and marvel and how irrational my fears were.  But that's what happens when you have an anxiety disorder.  I can truly see now how serious it got too.

I am so grateful that I got help (CBT with a wonderful psychologist who diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and anti-anxiety meds).  While this week was still tough at times, I barely gave Adam's trip a second thought beforehand, and I managed to make it through, not too worse for wear.  Of course, Adam's sabbatical last year gave me lots of practice already at taking care of the girls on my own.  But I also am doing so much better at managing my anxiety.

The week started off well enough.  Admittedly, I didn't have the mental energy to fight with Big A on several evenings when she refused to take a bath or practice her reading.  But I did get both girls' teeth brushed and flossed every night, which is an improvement over the past.  I have just come to expect that my children will be dirtier and less literate when Adam is away. 

Yesterday was awful though.  I helped organize an anniversary party for the girls' daycare, which has been running for 30 years!  Both girls threw huge tantrums, and again, embarrassed me (I think I have to go into these school and daycare events expecting the worst so I'm not surprised or disappointed).  I allowed them each to choose 2 treats from the snack table.  They each made their choices and quickly gobbled them down.  Later on, they noticed some chocolates that had been put out and both asked for one.  I refused, since they'd each already had 2 treats, and they both melted down.  Big A actually threatened me with, "If you don't let me have it, I'm going to complain until daddy gets home!" So I relented and let her have it.  NOT!  Believe you me, neither child got another treat!

Thank goodness for my friend Megan, who inspite of having 3 of her own children to corral, took Big A by the hand and tried to get her to calm down, while I tried to get Little A under control.  As we left to go home Little A calmed down, but Big A, in typical drama-queen style, claimed she was too tired to walk home and kept threatening to sit down on the cold, wet ground.  I ignored her and she shrieked the entire way home.  This morning the two of them would not stop fighting with each other.  I have never been more eager to drop them at daycare.

Adam is back tonight and I can't tell you how grateful I am to have a wonderful, supportive husband and co-parent.  Despite the fact that I can't imagine being a single mom, I never tell single women NOT to go ahead and become a parent on their own.  I have no doubt that for some people, parenting comes more naturally, and they are more than capable of providing a loving, nurturing environment for a child.  As for me, I think I'd end up in a straight-jacket.  I think it's beneficial for me to be an infertility counsellor because, not only do I get to help others in a way that's meaningful for me, but I get daily reminders that despite the many challenges of parenting, I am lucky to have two healthy children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste