Skip to main content

You DON'T Always Get What You Pay For

I've been having coffee maker issues for the past few months.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, my Kitchen Aid, which I got last spring blows.
Item image
The glass carafe was difficult to clean by hand so I pulled the top off the first week I had it, to put it in the dishwasher, only to learn the top doesn't come off.  I'd broken it.  So I called the company and ordered the stainless steel carafe.  Ironically, this one seemed to suck out the heat from the coffee instead of keeping it hot.  It was also difficult to clean because of it's design.  The machine takes a long time to brew, and you have to put a ton of coffee in to get a strong, rich tasting beverage.  Neither the glass, nor stainless steel carafes pour without spilling...a lot, and I could never get the damn programmer working so that the machine would start by itself in the morning.  All that and I paid $100 for this piece of crap.

I bought it because my beloved President's Choice coffeemaker kicked the bucket.


I'd had it for 5 years, which is good for a coffeemaker, since my mom got it for me right after we moved into our house and I had Big A.  She didn't like the one I'd brought with us from our student apartment and bought it on a whim while she was at Loblaws picking up groceries for us in the first few days we got home from the hospital after Big A's birth.  It was inexpensive and none of us expected it to be anything special, but it was a great coffeemaker.  When it died, I looked for a new one, but couldn't find it at any of the Loblaws stores near us, so Adam said to just go ahead and invest in a more expensive one that would last.  Ha!  The Kitchen Aid failed the grade!!

I've been grumbling about coffeemakers ever since so Adam promised me a new one for my birthday this year.  I was kind of at a loss in terms of what to buy though, because every time I thought I'd found one that would be a good choice, someone would tell me it sucked. I also have no interest in the ones that use pods or in an espresso machine.  I just want a good drip coffee machine!

Then I happened to drop in to the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws last week, and discovered they sell President's Choice coffeemakers.  What's more, mine was on sale for $30!!  I snatched it up immediately.  Ahh, I am now back in coffee nirvana.  The machine brews coffee super fast and hot. The programmer works perfectly, and you can use much less coffee, and still get a strong, rich beverage.

To make the whole thing even sweeter, since I got such a bargain on a new coffeemaker, Adam told me to go ahead and by a TRX Rip Trainer for my birthday! 
 TRX Rip Trainer Basic Kit
I can't wait to add this baby into my workout routine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste