Skip to main content

Recipe Favorites

I thought I'd compile a list of my favorite recipes because I publish so many and a lot have gotten lost at the back of this blog, particularly some that I didn't label very well.

These are recipes that each time I make them I think, "Damn this is amazing!"  If you try any, let me know what you think.

Meat/Fish Dishes

My Malaysian Curried Shrimp and Shirataki noodle dish is an all-time fave of mine (I can't make it for Adam because it has seafood, but I once made it for him with chicken instead and he loved it).

My take on chicken tajine turned out awesome.

You'll love my rhubarb apple butter chicken stew if you enjoy sweet/savoury dishes.  My apple butter chicken and squash dish, is also amazing.

My balsamic-glazed trout is simple but super-flavourful and is always a hit.  I make this one a lot.



Vegetarian Mains

My vegetarian pad thai, which I honestly think beats anything I've had in a restaurant.

You seriously have got to give my decadent-tasting creamy cashew pea curry a try!

My healthy take on Adam's bubby's sweet-and-sour lima beans is devine.

My vegetarian Italian "Meat"balls are easier than you might think to make, and so worth it.

This vegan pizza rocks, you gotta try it!

This is bar-none my favorite soup recipe, and hardy enough to be a whole meal.

Sweet and spicy curried chickpeas and kale is one of my favorite curries to make.

My chickpea apricot stew is another winner for people who like sweet/savoury dishes.

This Penne El Paso pasta dish is a tasty vegetarian or vegan meal incorporating all your favorite tex-mex flavours.

If your kids will eat vegetarian sushi, this recipe maximizes nutrition while still appealing to little ones' palates.  We make these all the time in our house and guests are always so impressed, they think we purchased them from a sushi restaurant!  No one will ever know what healthiness is hidden in them...

My falafel pizzas are definitely a favorite...drooling just thinking about them...

If you've been wanting to try Halifax style donairs, save your arteries and try my vegan version.


Side Dishes/Salads

I make my Italian Rice Pilaf all the time and it's always a hit. Great accompanyment to fish or chicken.

For an amazing twist on your usual sweet potato dish, try this one with Chinese Five Spice.

I am always a sucker for portobello mushrooms, but this salad is seriously amazing.


Condiments

This simple tahini sauce could make a rubber boot taste good.


Treats

For something so healthy, my gingerbread cookie dough balls are crazy-ass good!

I don't think a day has gone by since I first made these strawberry jam-filled mango muffins that Big A has not asked for one!

My apple cream tart was a huge hit with everyone, including the kids and the healthy-food haters.

Don't wait until Passover to make these cookie-dough truffles, they're too good, and were another favorite with everyone.

My cherry almond muffins have to be my all-time favorite muffin recipe, with these pina colada ones as the runner-up.

If you're a sucker for gooey cinnamon rolls, you gotta try this healthier version that tastes just as decadent!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste