Skip to main content

The Domestic Delinquent



Image Source

Due to the seemingly astonishing amount of cooking and baking I do, almost all of it from my own unique recipes, I've been teasingly called a little "Martha Stewart" by some of my friends.  Each time this happens I feel like a complete fraud.

Because the ugly truth is, aside from my cooking and baking skills, I am pretty much the Domestic Diva's polar opposite.

While I will shamelessly brag about the deliciousness I cook up on a regular basis, I can't, in good conscience, claim to be all that expert in the food presentation department.  You may remember the sperm cookie debacle:



Those squiggles are actually supposed to be "As".  The icing I flooded the cookies with was supposed to be pink.

Or Big A's birthday cupcakes from this year, which looked beautiful for all of 3 minutes before the piped pink icing practically melted off them in our hot kitchen. 



Adam's sister took up cake decorating just 2 years ago, and already she is producing magazine-cover quality products.  Mine do taste great...but sometimes they look a bit like they were whipped up in an easy-bake oven.

This is about as good as it gets for me:






But it gets even worse.  Despite my obsession with home decor and reno shows, I can't seem to apply what I learn to my own design attempts.  My questionnable artistic skills aside, I am a wee bit disappointed with the paintings and sketches I made for the girls' rooms, because the scale is all wrong.



 


 Perhaps I am just a dingbat, but admittedly, I didn't bother to measure their walls ahead of time nor research what sized canvases would be most appropriate.  Also - for the record - I am completely technologically disabled...which is why the photos are all misaligned...

And that, therein, lies my problem: I am very impatient and a little too task-oriented. I am so keen on accomplishing a goal and getting it done, that I often do a half-assed job. I rarely am patient enough to read instructions for anything and tend to just barrel ahead and hope for the best. Kind of a weird trait for a Type-A perfectionist, huh?


So...the paint colour (beige) I choose for our living room/dining room - I now realize - is too dark, the blue in our bedroom has too much green and not enough grey, and the brown tiles I chose for our downstairs bathroom are just butt-ugly.  Again, I can chalk all this up to being impatient...or maybe lazy?  I hate spending too long on these kinds of decisions, and instead, tend to be a little impulsive.

Not only do I have no future in interior design, but I am also rather incompetent at even everyday menial tasks.  Adam has banned me from folding laundry, or ironing clothes.  He carefully inspects every dish and pot I wash to make sure I haven't missed spots.

Truthfully, I hate domestic tasks.  With the exception of cooking, I despise it all: vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing, mopping, all of it.  Even the thought of putting away laundry or unloading the dishwasher fills me with dread.

I am embarrassed to say that even over the past 3 years while I have been on maternity leave with Little A, and in school not making an income, I have insisted that we continue to employ someone to clean the house for us.  I just can't do it.  I hate it, hate it, hate it.  If it were left to me, I suspect I would put it off until things became a sorry state.  I am lucky to have a husband who happily does his fair share.  Adam does all the laundry folding and ironing.  He takes care of the bills (another task I hate), and is in charge of the garbage/recycling/composting duties.  He mows our little lawn, shovels snow and rakes leaves.  He has always said he would happily clean our house himself, and while that seems lovely in theory, in practice, I know that when this responsibility is left to him, he does the same few things (vacuuming, scrubbing bathrooms and kitchen), and neglects all the rest (dusting, changing towels and linens,cleaning under and behind the stove, etc).  I'm not complaining, he is a very helpful man, but I just think we are a couple that need domestic help!

While we are fortunate to have the ability to pay for help cleaning our home, we can't justify the expense of having a gardener, and both Adam and I hate gardening.  So while the inside of our house is always sometimes clean, the outside sometimes looks rather pathetic.  My mom, a talented green-thumb, often takes things into her own hands and cleans up the yard for us when visiting.  In between, things tend to go downhill fast.  Although I like gardening more than I used to, I still don't like it that much, and this is another thing I tend to put off as long as possible.  I also seem to have a brown-thumb.  Give me a house plant - any kind - and I am guaranteed to kill it within a few weeks.  Given what a lovely job most of our neighbours do tending to their front yards, I am very embarrassed by ours.  But, of course, not embarrassed enough to do anything drastic myself.  Nope, I am now contemplating hiring a gardener or landscaper to clean it up for us and make it so low-maintenance, that even Adam and I can handle it.

Here are some of our neighbours' yards:



Here is ours:


 Notice all the brown grass and weeds?




Again...I can't get the stupid pictures to go where I want them to.  I guess I could research how to do it...but I suppose I'm too lazy.

Admittedly, I feel very guilty hiring other people to take care of our home, seeing as I am not currently working full-time and could do it myself, but life is short and I want to spend as little of it as possible doing things I hate.

Now you could throw this in my face and say that you hate exercising or eating vegetables, so you don't want to waste any precious time exercising or eating food you don't like, but if you don't take care of your body, your life is bound to be too short, or your health so compromised, that you won't be able to do the things you love.  So there!  Hire someone to clean your house, eat broccoli, and go out for a run!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste