Skip to main content

Waiting for the Other Shoe...

Lately I have watched many people I care about face serious misfortune.  Two close friends of the family were diagnosed with serious cancers, a friend just had a worrisome mass on her cervix removed, another friend's father is ill, a neighbour's son has an illness not yet diagnosed and the husband of one of my best friends just called it quits on their 12 year marriage (they have two sons aged 4 and 1).

I am devastated and concerned for each of them and left wondering both what I can do to help, and what would I do if it were me in their place?

Like many people who struggle with anxiety, I have a tendency to worry about what ifs because of this irrational belief that if I do, the what ifs won't happen, or somehow if they do happen I'll be better prepared.  This is, of course, a fallacy because it assumes magical thinking, and worrying about things before they happen does little to prevent or minimize pain and trauma when they do occur.

I am relieved to say that all of this misfortune around me has not yet sent me into a spiral of anxiety like it might have in the past.  I know I've mentioned the importance of gratitude in the past, but I believe it applies here too.  I may not be able to explain why I am so fortunate, but I am.  A wonderful husband who I have been married to for almost 10 years (upcoming anniverary in May!), two smart, healthy, adorable girls, and a priviledged, upper-middle class existance.  My life has not been without it's share of heart break, trauma and disappointments, but relatively speaking my life has been very good.  Finally at the tender age of 37 I have realized that I am not undeserving of this fortune and enjoying it will not cause the other shoe to drop.   Actually, it seems far more selfish and narcissistic to not recognize and appreciate how blessed I am.  This also puts me in a better position to reach out to the ones around me who are right now facing major challenges.

The other point of this post is to remind you how important it is to reach out to others regardless of whether you are the one offering or needing help.  There is no shame in seeking help, we all need to lean on others for some reason at some point in our lives.  AND THAT IS OKAY.  I also think one of the most important things we human beings can do is help others.  Obviously, that is why I am in a helping profession.  But help can take many forms: donating money to a charity; opening the door for someone in a public space; housesitting for a neighbour; a hug; cooking food for a sick friend, etc.

I grapple with how I can help each and every person dear to me who is dealing with a serious problem right now and the answer isn't always easy to find.  Sometimes it is best to ask.  Sometimes the person won't know, but the fact that you asked is what is important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste