Skip to main content

It's in You to Give

If you live in Canada, you likely know that "It's in you to give" is the tag line for Canadian Blood Services.
I have been wanting to donate blood forever, but for some reason haven't gotten around to it. Sometime last fall, I decided I wanted to do it for sure. This weekend I actually did it.

There are a number of psychological theorists who have postulated that one of the keys to personal fulfillment and happiness is doing things that have social value. After all, how can you feel bad if you are doing something good for others, which generally makes you feel good about yourself? One of the reasons I left my old career was, in my opinion, it lacked much social value, and hence much value to me. My new career in counselling fulfills my desire to do something more meaningful for work, but why should helping/giving be limited to one's work?

Donating blood is something which I think most people can recognize the value of. A medical emergency could happen to anyone and it seems like such an easy thing to do too.

And it is. They are SUPER cautious, but it is really not hard to pass the eligibility screener. You CAN be taking medications and have certain health conditions, but they do ask you a gazillion questions about where you have travelled in the world, your sexual history and whether or not you have ever used illegal drugs, etc. You have to be between the ages of 17 and 61, weigh at least 110 lbs, and have not had a tattoo, surgery or dental work in the past few months. You also have to have blood pressure of 90/50 or above.

I guess I should be flattered that 2 nurses questioned me about whether or not I am actually 110 lbs? I also almost flunked the blood pressure test because my blood pressure is so low. Fortunately, it was 92/53 when she tested it. I think that's probably because I got nervous that I was going to fail, so my blood pressure went up a bit ;)

After all the screening(they also prick your finger to test your hemaglobin), I was seated in a comfortable reclining chair/bed thing, and they inserted the needle. It hurt a tiny bit for about 1 second. After 8 minutes I had given them the max (2 cups) and I was told to rest for a few minutes. Then I was invited to have a free drink or snack in their lounge. Even with my low blood pressure, I experienced no weakness, fatigue or dizziness. In fact, I felt perfectly fine. All-in-all it was an easy, not unpleasant experience, so I've decided this is something I will do regularly from now on. Seems like a relatively simple way to make a small difference that can help others, so why not?

If you live in the GTA, I went to the permanent clinic in the Manulife Centre at Bay and Bloor. It's upstairs by the movie theatre. Why not drop in on your way to catch a flick and donate a little blood? After all, "it's in you to give."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste