Skip to main content

Sports versus Exercise

Do you like sports? Do you like to exercise? Or both?

Sports and exercise activities overlap but are not one in the same.

Sports are: Activities involving physical exertion and skill that are governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Exercise is: Activity that requires physical or mental exertion, especially when performed to develop or maintain fitness.

Some people like to play competitive or recreational team sports (basketball, volleyball, soccer, rowing, ultimate frisbee, etc.) as a means of getting exercise and maintaining physical fitness. Others like to perform physical activities solely for the purpose of getting fit (cardio machines, group fitness classes, cycling, walking, strength training, etc.). Neither is better, it entirely depends on what is most appropriate for the individual. It is also possible to align fitness goals with competition goals (i.e. running races, triathalons, etc.) if you so desire.

You can reap equal health benefits from sports or fitness activities, the important thing is that you are physically active. I may have said it a hundred times, but I really can't say it enough: physical activity is essential for getting and staying healthy!

Personally, I DETEST sports and LOVE fitness activities. I believe this is because of the negative experiences I had in sport as a child. I was never particularly concerned with winning, nor was I particularly gifted at any team sports - actually the only sport I didn't suck at was soccer. Unfortunately, many of the girls at my elementary school and high school were extremely competitive and I (and others like me) were socially ostracized for not being athletically-gifted. Even worse, the butt-munch of a gym teacher at my elementary school blatantly treated kids like me as second-class citizens and favoured the "sporty" kids. This did nothing good for my self-image or body esteem. By 10th grade, I no longer even bothered trying out for the school's sports teams.

Fortunately, in 9th grade when I decided I wanted to get more physically fit, my brother suggested I try going to the fitness classes that many of his female friends attended. A girlfriend and I got a pass for a local gym and after just one class I was hooked. There was no winning or losing. There was no performance evaluation. There was just fun music, fun movement and the energy of the participants feeding off one another.

By 12th grade I'd gotten certified as a fitness instructor and the rest is HISTORY.

Of course not everyone has a negative experience with sports. In fact, research shows that overall, children who participate in organized sports generally have higher self-esteem and better academic achievement than those who don't.

Just be aware that they are not appropriate for every child. If your child does not enjoy team sports, there are lots of other ways to get them hooked on exercise. There are individual sports that they can do non-competitively like swimming, running and cycling, and there are also a growing number of fitness options for kids. Toronto has a number of yoga for kids programs as well as gyms which offer strength training and group fitness for children and teens. At our local library yesterday, while Little A pulled all the Barney DVDs off the shelf, I spied a fitness DVD for kids, that a child can do right at home.

It's also important to know that some sports carry risks when children get to an elite level. We all know the physical dangers of things like rugby, football and hockey, but the aesthetic sports (gymnastics, ballet, skating, synchro swimming, etc.) can have psychological risks.

When I was a PhD student, my supervisor and I did a study that found that national level gymnastics coaches were emotionally abusive to their athletes and encouraged unhealthy behaviours to manage their weight. A frightening number of the gymnasts in the study admitted to having had or currently having disordered eating and body image distortion because of these experiences.

Children and adults need to be physically active - ideally 60 minutes of activity a day! Whether you and your children choose to do sports or fitness activities is not what's important. Just remember that whatever you do choose should inhance both physical and mental health. Get your kids moving, just be sure to find the right activity for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste