Skip to main content

Pie-r-Round

I know that I am not normal. I love exercise, I love green vegetables and I HATE heat. I think summer absolutely sucks. I also hate pie.

Once you have gotten up from fainting, let me explain. I think many pie FILLINGS are delicious, but I CAN'T STAND PASTRY. Does that make me seem any less weird?

I just don't get what is appealing about something made of nothing but refined flour, saturated fat, salt and water. What a big waste of empty calories! I hate pie crusts, I hate danishes and I hate croissants. Please don't put me in a straight-jacket for that one!

That's why I have been dying to try Chef Michael Smith's recipe for apple pie, using a whole grain pie crust (which is more cookie-like than pastry-like).

I decided to make it for our Rosh Hashana dinner last week (since Adam's mom had already made a honey cake and his sister had baked an apple cake). Although neither Adam nor his dad usually gravitate towards healthier desserts, they both have a weakness for anything involving apples baked with cinnamon, so I thought this might pass muster. It was a hit with everyone!

If you are looking for a relatively healthy Thanksgiving dessert option, give this a try. It's pretty fail-proof. I don't even have a pie plate, but it worked in a cake pan, though this didn't produce the nicest looking product. But hey, I've already stated that I'm more concerned with taste than with presentation.

I didn't make the yogurt topping, but I'm sure it would be a nice addition, as would vanilla or maple walnut frozen yogurt or ice cream.

I love Michael Smith, he shares my philosophy about cooking: just use a recipe as a guide and adjust it to suit your own taste. Be inspired by the flavours you enjoy most and the ingredients you have on hand.

Whole Grain Crusted Apple Pie with Maple Yogurt Topping

Courtesy of : Michael Smith http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Fruit/recipe.html?dishid=8556

Yield : A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don't like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!

Ingredients for the Crust

•1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
•1 cup rolled oats
•2 tablespoons brown sugar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup vegetable oil
•1/2 cup or so of water

For the Filling

•6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 6 even pieces
•1/2 cup honey
•3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
•1 tablespoon of cinnamon

For the Topping

•1/2 cup yogurt
•1/4 cup maple syrup

For the Crust

1.Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2.Whisk the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Add the oil and mix well. Add the water and stir just until the mixture comes together. Knead it once or twice to gather up all the dry ingredients. Add a few drops more of water if needed. Divide in half and form into 2 flattened discs. Chill until ready to use.

For the Filling

1.Toss the apples with the honey, flour and cinnamon.
2.Flour your hands, the work surface, the roller and the dough then roll one pastry disc out into a 12-inch round and fit it into an 8-inch pie plate. You may find it easy to fold the disc into quarters than pick it up and unfold it over the pie plate. Add the apples.
3.Roll out the other disc into a 12-inch round and place over top of the apples. Trim and seal edges of pie and poke 3 or 4 vent holes into the top of the pie so that steam will be released and not blow out the crust. Place onto the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour, until crust is golden and juices are bubbling.

For the Topping

1.Whisk the yogurt and maple syrup together and serve with the pie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste