Skip to main content

Date Squares

Today was NOT a great day. Adam is out of town. Big A's wet cough got worse and she developed a fever so the school called right as I was getting ready to leave for a counselling appt. It was my first session with a new client and it sounded urgent so I really didn't want to cancel last minute. My mother-in-law was supposed to pick up Little A for a sleepover so I thought maybe she could pick them both up. But my niece (who is the same age as Little A) was throwing up so she had to got pick HER up. I called the school and told them I'd take Big A with me, but they insisted I leave her there to rest until I could take her home.

So, I drove up to our North York office which is a 45 minute - hour drive in midday traffic. My usual parking spot wasn't available so I had to pay to park. I got to the office right at 2pm but...my client wasn't there!

At 2:20pm I phoned her and she admitted she'd lost track of time and it would still be at least another 15 minutes before she arrived. I told her I couldn't stay late so we rescheduled for tomorrow. Then I had to drive all the way back downtown and pick up Big A.

Fortunately, my sister-in-law was able to pick up my niece and so my mother-in-law was able to pick up Little A and keep her for a sleepover so I can nurse Big A.

All this to say, I ended up house bound with a sick 5 year old. No better reason to bake I say. Besides, my uncle Ed from New York,and my parents are coming to town this weekend and my parents adore date squares. I know we'll be spending a lot of time eating at my brother's house so that's another good excuse to bake treats.

The fabulous aroma of these baking certainly put me in a better mood.

A bubble bath, Children's Advil, animal crackers and playing Caillou computer games has put Big A in a better mood too.

Filling

2 cups pitted dates
Juice and zest of a large navel orange
1/2 cup water

Crust

2 cups oat flour (you can grind oats in your food processor)
2 cups large flake oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder (optional)
2 flax eggs (2 tbls ground flax + 6 tbls hot water)
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 tbls coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract

Set dates, juice and zest in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to bubble, turn heat down to low and simmer until the liquid is absorbed. Add water and place date mixture in food processor (or use hand blender) and puree to desired consistency (can be chunky). Set aside.

Combine flax and water and set aside until flax eggs "gel". In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients. Stir in flax eggs, agave, oil and vanilla. Press just over 1/2 of mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x9 square pan. Pour date mixture over top and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining crust mixture over top, distributing evenly. Bake in the oven at 350F for about 18-20 minutes, until top is golden and crisp. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

Comments

  1. These look amazing. I love date bars...they are like fig newtons, but BETTER. My godmother used to make them for me and I'd eat them until I get sick. I'm making your recipe...but hopefully I've developed willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have a weakness for anything that has dried fruit in it...which can definitely lead to tummy upset when consumed in mass quantities! Let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste