Skip to main content

One Long Weekend

No it wasn't really a long weekend, but it did sorta feel that way.

Friday I was busy counselling, and my in-laws cancelled dinner plans with Adam and the girls because my niece, who was staying with them, came down with the stomach flu. This meant that when I got home around 6:30pm, I had to try and journal all the details of my sessions for the day and log my hours (requirements for school) with the two of them running around like maniacs.

Saturday I was by myself with the girls for most of the day because Adam was at the gym all morning and then at UofT for a party to honour his former PhD supervisor. The morning was great, I took the girls to the Wychwood barns farmer's market, which Big A loves, and they sampled all sorts of treats: soy yogurt, spelt cookies, fresh apples of different varieties and raw/vegan brownies and cookies. Then I let them loose in the playground. Big A had a blast getting into her bathing suit and running around in the water park while Little A had me push her on the swing and see-saw with her.

The afternoon, however, was not much fun. We had had plans to go to my in-laws, but because my niece was still sick, that got blown out of the water. I couldn't find anything interesting to do with the girls. There were no appropriate movies playing and Little A despises going shopping, so heading to the mall was out.

I finally settled on the vegan/raw food festival in our neighbourhood. I figured they had such a great time in the morning sampling similar treats at the market, they might like this too.

But just as Adam headed off for his party, Little A woke up from her nap in a rotten mood and not willing to go anywhere. I gave in and let them watch a DVD and eat a snack. Then to my surprise, they were willing to venture out, so off we went.

What a mistake! The festival was inside, in an non air-conditioned space. It was super crowded and noisy. The girls didn't like any of the free samples they were offered, except for some raw semi-sweet chocolate, and Big A was really whiny. I finally took them to the snack bar where they each started yelling they wanted a baked apple (since when are baked apples raw?). I relented, but was appalled that 2 baked apples cost me $10 and peeved when each of them took one bite and decided they didn't like them. We headed back to the car. Before we got there, Big A suddenly declared she had to pee, like ASAP! Something she could have decided 5 minutes prior when we were still at the festival! I had to let her drop her pants right there and pee in the corner of a school yard. When Little A saw this, she wanted to get in on the action too. I had to battle with her to keep her diaper on.

Once we got back to the car, the girls got into each other's car seats and wouldn't budge. I didn't feel like getting physical with them so I tried to wait it out by patiently standing on the sidewalk and hoping they would get tired of this game. Unfortunately, it delighted them and it was me that gave in. I finally had to threated to remove movie and popcorn privileges for the evening if they didn't each return to their proper car seat.

Yesterday was a much more pleasant day. In the morning I went to the JCC to teach my spinning class while Adam shuttled the girls to and from swimming and soccer lessons. While Little A DIDN'T nap, my friend Ray came over to give Big A a yo yo lesson. When we finally gave up on Little A taking a nap, we headed down to the Bloor Street Festival, which we go to every year. Big A got her face painted, the girls got lollipops and balloons, and Little A, of course, managed to get filthy. At 5:30pm when Adam was heading to his book club meeting, I bought the girls frozen yogurt and then jumped on the subway with them to get home. Public transport is a huge treat for them. They entertained the other passengers on the subway and bus with their conversations and gleefulness. Unfortunately, Little A was so sticky and dirty by this point that I felt like taping a disclaimer to her shirt saying, "Please excuse the appearance of this child, but I assure you she is well taken care of."

The weekend ended with Adam and I watching The Social Network (great film!) and me heading off to my first MRI. As someone who gets sleepy by 9pm, driving to the hospital at 11pm was a challenge! Not even the energy drink I gulped at 9:15pm helped much. But I made it there and back in one piece. My other MRI has been re-scheduled for July 20, so it looks like I still have a few more weeks to wait until there is any chance of getting some answers about my leg pain.

Tomorrow I head off to NYC to see my grandma. Although I love New York, this trip is going to be bittersweet.

Comments

  1. We're hoping to see her when we go up in a couple of weeks. Let me know your thoughts offline... I've been thinking a lot about her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste