Skip to main content

Apple Butter Streusal Muffins

Day 2 of my practicum placements and I'm home with Little A.

Yesterday, Day 1, I received a frantic phone call at 3:45pm from her daycare with the teachers in hysterics because she had such a high fever they were worried she was going to have a seizure.

I hopped on my bicycle and zoomed over there, leaving it locked up in front for Adam to pick up on his way to pick up Big A, and snatched my shaking, burning up child and raced to the subway to get her to the pediatrician before there drop-in hours ended at 5pm.

Little A was absolutely miserable and kept complaining that her ears were "itchy". Thus, an hour later when we were finally seen by the doctor, she concluded that it was "probably" another ear infection, even though there wasn't much fluid visible in her ears yet. She said sometimes children get the symptoms before the infection is obvious in their ears. Thankfully, she gave me a prescription for her which I filled immediately. Although she failed to respond to Tylenol, a dose of baby Advil had her back to her old self (sans appetite) within 30 minutes.

She woke up today bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, but we are keeping her home, at least until tomorrow. Although she has been as mischievous as ever (pulling her pants down twice in the grocery store on our way home from dropping off Big A at school) she happily sat and diapered and fed her baby doll while I pulled these muffins together.

I wanted to make something for the tea party we are hosting for my mother-in-law in honour of Mother's Day this weekend, something that was half way between a muffin and a cupcake. These are perfect. And Adam and his dad have a particular weakness for apple cinnamon sweets.

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups unsweetened apple butter
1 cup milk, apple juice or water
2 eggs or 4 egg whites
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Streusal topping
1 cup oats
1/4 cup butter
2 tbls brown sugar
2 tbls chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon

Whisk together wet ingredients in large mixing bowl. Combine dry ingredients and add to wet. Stir together just until mixed. Spoon into muffin cups and top each one with about 2 tbls of streusal topping. Bake in oven at 375F for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Makes 16 muffins.

Comments

  1. Wait, so it's for Mother's Day...and you're a mother...Why isn't your husband making the treats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I've never known my husband to bake anything in his life! But I can't complain, every Mother's Day he treats me to a shopping spree!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste