Skip to main content

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Most people I know are somewhat particular about who touches their locks. I am no exception.

Most people also despise their hair and spend a great deal of time and money trying to transform it from it's natural state, into something they deem more desirable. I have definitely been down that road too.

In fact, I feel like I have been at war with my hair for most of my life. It is dark brown, fine and curly. Even a lot of stylists have admitted that the combination of fine-curly hair is very difficult to work with. My hair varies from relatively straight on a dry, cold day when I have flattened it with a winter hat, to super tight ringlets on a hot, humid day.

In 8th grade I permed it...no idea why seeing as it is already super curly...and added Sun-In, which gave it icky, blondish streaks. In highschool I henna'd it, turning it bright red, and in first and second year university I highlighted and low-lighted my locks. I have also attempted to straighten it periodically with a flat-iron or round brush, but I have never really had the patience to do this for very long. I never want to spend more than 10 minutes total on hair and make-up everyday.

Although I am lucky to have never yet had a grey hair, childbirth has really done in my mane. After both girls were born, my hair started falling out like crazy. Since I have a lot of hair - it's fine, but plentiful - this wasn't such a big problem. What was a big problem was the regrowth of short spiky hairs that began coming in around my hair line. It was incredibly unsightly and forced me to chop off my locks that I had painstakingly grown out between Big A and Little A's birth. It just looked too weird to have long hair with spikey, short ones all around my hair line. I also feel like it has lost its lustre, and seems dry and dull. I can't go a day without using some Moroccan Oil to give it a bit more sheen and life.

Because of my fine-curly curse, I have had great difficulty finding a stylist I am happy with. Since living in Toronto, which is coming up on 17 years now, I think I have seen a dozen different hairdressers or more. With shorter cuts I find it even more frustrating because most stylists are unable to provide a consistent cut. One time it's perfect, but the next time I go back and ask for the same thing, I end up with something completely different.

Overall, I have been extremely pleased with my current stylist, Van, who I have been seeing on-and-off for the past 5 years. She originally worked in a posh Yorkville salon but opened up her business out of her home. She is very reasonably priced and an absolutely lovely girl.

So imagine my dismay when Yvonne, a woman who takes my spinning classes at the JCC, and also goes to Van (she too has difficult-to-work-with curly hair), informed me that our stylist seems to have gone AWOL. NOOOO! I had been putting off getting a cut because I have been busy, but it is long overdue. Sure enough, when I called to book an appointment, I got Van's machine and she never called back. I'm distraught, what do I do now??

I have an appointment Wednesday with the "Curl Ambassadors", who, obviously, specialize in curly hair, but Yvonne warned me that she has tried them and was not happy with the results. Oh Van where are you???

Hair is also a source of conflict between me and my girls. While I do not favour dressing them up in flounce and frills, I adore pigtails and cute dos on little girls. Unfortunately, Big A was pretty bald until she was 3 years old, and then it took another year before she was willing to let me style it, let alone run a brush through it. Now, she periodically tells me that she wants to cut it short, but I pretend not to hear. I adore her shiny, honey coloured curls and can't bear the thought of chopping it off.

Little A already has hair down to her shoulders, but won't even let me come near her with a barrette. Her hair is light reddish-brown and still baby fine, but I am sure it will get thicker and start curling soon, since neither Adam nor I have straight locks. What I wouldn't give to see my little monkey in pigtails!

As for me, if the cut I get on Wednesday is a bad one, I may actually start hoping for a late spring so that I can keep my head covered with a hat for a few more weeks until it grows in...

Comments

  1. Hi E, it's Megan here posting as anonymous... Janae and I have both been to Curl Ambassadors and we were pleased, hope you will be too. We saw Shanlea. And as for Big A, let's make a hair date for her as soon as this mystery virus passing through our house is gone! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    Big A was asking when you could do her hair -as you know, I'm not so skilled in that area! I am so glad to hear you had a good experience with Curl Ambassadors!! I hope you all get better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste