Skip to main content

Dumb and Dumber

I am really eating crow today! I am a complete idiot. As usual.

First, the daycare was right. Something WAS wrong with Little A. When I finally got her in to see a doctor this weekend, he confirmed that she had an ear infection. What??? She really and truly was not acting like it, at least not at home. In the past, when she has had one, she has been hysterical and very obviously in pain. Aside from the daycare's reports of an intermittant fever, she was acting just fine at home. None of the usual signs (constant fever, hysteria, misery, etc.). She's now on antibiotics and doing fine. I don't know how many times the girls have had an ear infection and I tell myself that the next time I will recognize the problem sooner. I now vow that anytime either of them has any trace of a fever, I'm taking them to the doctor immediately to RULE OUT an ear infection. Poor, poor Little A and bad, bad mommy. Or, as she is still calling me, "Mommy Poo Poo".

Second, I finally heard back from Dr M. at Mt Sinai. Oh boy. She apologized for the delay with our proposal, but explained that it took her several uninterrupted hours to make all the necessary changes to our consent form. Huh? I thought I had addressed almost ALL of the consent form changes and had only left her with a very small amount of work (making decisions about medical stuff that I could not do myself). What did I miss? I'm really puzzled as I was, or I thought I was, very diligent about making all the corrections. I feel HORRIBLE and STUPID. In any case, the good news is the research project looks like it's a go, as long as the ethics board now approves our proposal. I profusely apologized to her for overlooking some of the required changes (I'm wondering if I sent her the wrong file, because I really, truly spent hours on the corrections!) and promised that I would shoulder the responsibility for any future tasks.

My head must be full on sand or something. Time to clean my ears out.

Comments

  1. Okay, you are NOT a complete idiot! As far as the ear infection goes, how are you supposed to catch that if her symptoms are different every time? (Although my sis has a monitor she sticks in my nephew's ear that has done a really good job with letting her know if he has one, it's kinda like the ear thermometers? If they get EI a lot, maybe worth looking into?) I'm glad that you got it figured out!!!

    As far as the consent form goes, I personally edit just about everything I get, and I think it's more about my being anal than there being things majorly wrong with what I got. Or, it might be that there are specific things she knows need to be included that you just weren't aware of. Give yourself a break, at least until you get it back and see what changes she made :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Nic, I appreciate the support. Seeing as this is Little A's 3rd or 4th ear infection, I seriously may have to look into that gadget your sister has. Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste