Skip to main content

Testing the Waters

P1: Well I just completed my third course in the Miscarriage/Infertility certificate program, so I'm now officially half way through. I got an A+ in the Counselling Ethics course for my Masters, and am currently enjoying my Counselling Methodologies--Behavioural and Cognitive Modalities course. Still no word from Dr. M at Mount Sinai, inspite of sending her a reminder email last week, so no progress on the research project. Sigh!

P2: The parenting consultants warned me that things with Big A might get a lot worse before they get better because she will really start testing the limits with me once I make changes to my discipline system. So I was very surprised when we had an amazingly easy week with her. Therefore, I should NOT have been shocked when she had a major flip out last night. It started when we got in the door at the end of the day and she threw her coat on the floor and ordered me to hang it up for her. I told her that this was rude, and to please pick it up, apologize, and ask me nicely to hang it up for her. She resisted so I finally told her I was taking away her jacket as a punishment (it's her favorite pink jacket, but conveniently it is too light for the chilly weather the next few days and this gives me a chance to wash it). She flew into a rage and told me she was going to hide the jacket in her room so I could not take it from her. She did so and I responded by telling her she was not allowed to wear her Halloween costume to school today. She became hysterical at this point and begged me for another chance, but I stood my ground. She raged and cried and whined for AN HOUR but I listened to the consultants' advice and completely ignored her. She became very upset and asked why I was ignoring her and only paying attention to Little A. I explained that I was not going to acknowledge her bad behaviour. She finally calmed down and by the time Adam walked in the door at 7pm, she had settled down and was eating her supper. I was proud of myself for keeping my cool. I didn't yell once. And even though it took a whole bloody hour, I was able to resolve the issue with her myself, without having to get Adam involved, something the consultants said was important.

Nevertheless, today as we walked to school and saw all the other kids dressed up in their Halloween costumes, I felt terrible and guilty. But I know I have to follow through with the punishment and in a way it is ideal. I took away a privilege that meant a lot to her so she will hopefully learn a lesson. Ironically, Little A won't let anyone get near her with her puppy costume...I'm really hoping she'll put in on for Trick or Treating on Sunday!

Adam was away all last week in Ottawa for business. His absence was obviously strongly felt. Since his return, it is ALL about daddy for Little A. As much as it warms my heart to see her adoring her daddy as much as Big A always has, I admit I'm a tad disappointed that the novelty of mommy has already worn off. When I go get her from her crib first thing in the morning, the first thing she says is, "Daddy?". Sigh!

F1: Just as I had stopped obsessing over my kids' diets from a nutritional standpoint, I am now obsessing over it from a dental-hygiene perspective. Since we discovered Big A's cavities, I haven't let either of them have any raisins or dried fruit snacks. But I wonder what other foods I should have them avoid. It's not like they are willing to eat such a wide variety of healthy foods as it is!

F2: When I went for physio the other day there was a guy doing this exercise in the gym there. Now this clinic treats a lot of competitive athletes, so my guess is this guy is one of them because I tried this exercise and could not do it. I will warn you it is EXTREMELY advanced, but perhaps if you have better core strength than I do (I have had 2 c-sections after all) and/or you have better stability, you can do it. If so, please let me know. I'll be VERY impressed. I'm working toward being able to do it myself one day...

Ball/Bosu Core Exercise

Place one hand on either side of a Bosu ball (round side down) and rest your feet on a stability ball. Drag the ball in towards your hands so that you are in a pike position and then push it back out so that you are in a plank position, parallel with the floor. Repeat as many times as you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste