Skip to main content

Heart Rate Monitors

If you want to get fit or fitter, there is really nothing more helpful than a heart rate monitor (HRM). I stopped using mine after I gave birth to Little A, probably because I was sick of HAVING to use it everyday while pregnant to make sure I was exercising at a safe level (although the basic guideline is that if you can talk fairly easily and are not out of breath, you're fine). But recently I decided I had to change up my hill walking routine. Even though I tell everyone else not to get stuck in an exercise rut, I had done just that. I kept telling myself that I'd change it up when it started feeling easier, but that never happened. It always felt hard and I was frustrated. The extreme angle I was working at was also killing my hamstring. Although the physiotherapist told me I don't need to avoid any activities, and, in fact, need to do things that target the hamstring, on days when I did my hill walks I was in even more pain. But I figured the only change I could make was to decrease my effort and I was not willing to do that. Finally, I decided to play around with my speed and incline until I could find a different combo that kept me working at the same intensity. I put on my HRM only to find the battery was dead. Than I made the mistake of getting Adam to open it up so we could change the battery ourselves. Big mistake. Never do that. It's now in HRM heaven.

I was eager to get a new one, so I went to the mall and there was only one place that carried them. They didn't have Polar, the gold standard of HRMs and really the only brand you should buy, but I was impatient so I bought a "Sportline" brand. Big mistake #2. When I got it home, I discovered it only worked if I was sitting perfectly still. Not useful when I want to monitor my heart rate WHILE I'm exercising! So I went out and found another Polar. I did my usual workout the next day to see where I was at. In spite of the workout "feeling" really tough, my heart rate was not as high as I thought. So the next day I took the incline down to a more comfortable level but turned up the speed. Low and behold, not only did it not feel much more difficult, it actually got my heart rate up significantly higher!! This demonstrates the limits of rate of perceived exersion, which we fitness professionals always tell people to use. Sometimes it can be misleading. You really can't know for sure how hard you are working unless you have a HRM. I am so thrilled! My workout now causes less pain for my hamstring AND I'm able to actually push harder! I'm going to break through my plateau!!

Today was my first physio treatment and, fortunately, it wasn't as painful as expected. She basically yanked my pelvis into place. I was sceptical that she could do this but I did feel significantly different afterwards. My left leg felt longer and my weight was distributed much more evenly through my feet. Cool!

I ordered 3 new pilates DVDs since my physiotherapist said I should do a lot of core work: Denise Austin's "Hit the Spot Pilates", Kathy Smith's "Fat Buring Pilates" and "Peel off the Pounds Pilates". I got them for an amazing deal from inetvideo.ca. I just want to point out that you can't really burn fat or peel off pounds doing pilates. Why people try to make these claims is beyond me. It neither burns enough calories or builds enough muscle to help you lose weight. What pilates is meant to do is improve your functional fitness, like your posture, balance and core strength and to teach your body to move more efficiently. Don't expect anything else.

So my fitness tip of the week is: Get a heart rate monitor...and go for a Polar one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste