Skip to main content

Doctor in the House

I am lucky to have a sister-in-law who is a physician (OB/GYN). After reading my blog a few weeks ago she called me with some advice. First, she said I was the last person she could think of who should be restricting my sodium intake since I exercise (and sweat) so much and drink a lot of water. A sports nutritionist I saw years ago had said the same thing. YAY! So I've reintroduced soy sauce, miso, turkey and "veggie meat" sandwiches, and some of my other favs back into my diet, but am trying to have them less often. Adam is relieved, to say the least. He wasn't so thrilled with the low-sodium kick I was on. She also recommended that I try wearing my MBT shoes less often, since they are intended to tighten you hamstrings and calves, she thought they might be exacerbating my sciatica. Hmm, that hadn't occurred to me. The problem is, I have bad feet and most other shoes leave my arches and the balls of my feet sore if I do any walking in them. But I have a pair of ballet flats, that are quite structured (and a heck of a lot cuter than MBTs!) and I've been wearing them a lot more. So far so good. Perhaps wearing my MBTs less often and periodic acupuncture will keep me going.

This morning my mother-in-law and I got to be audience members at a taping of Cityline. Cityline (http://www.citytv.com/cityline) is a show that features local experts on topics including home, garden and decor, cooking, fashion, health and parenting. It typically airs on City TV in Toronto at 10am but since we have a satellite, I've been watching reruns from the previous day at 6am from City TV Edmonton when I'm on the treadmill. Unfortunately, they aren't showing it at that time anymore so I can't say when I'll get to watch it again. Anyhow, I've tried for years to get tickets but was only successful a few months ago at scoring these ones. It was interesting to watch how they film it (it's taped, not live) and put the whole thing together. Tracey Moore, the regular host, is on mat leave, so it was guest hosted by Trish Stratus and another woman (I have no idea who she is...). Sometimes they give away incredible prizes and have draws for things like a new washer and dryer. Today we weren't so lucky. My mother-in-law and I walked home with big gift packs of Orville Redenbacher products (I hate popcorn) and a bag of GUM oral hygiene products. Oh yeah, and 2 weeks of unlimited yoga classes at Trish Stratus's studio. That WOULD have been great for me if it wasn't located a 45 minute drive away...

The show airs next week so I have to remember to either tape it or watch it. We were in the front row of the audience. Too bad I look tired and crappy today and I'm having a bad hair day.

Exercise of the Week: Knee lunges

This exercise works the glutes, quads and hams and also requires a lot of core strength to help you balance. If you have a step or bench, you can also place your supporting foot on it while lunging and lifting with the other.

Stand with feet shoulder distance apart (holding dumbells, the heavier the better, in your hands). Step back with your right foot into a reverse lunge then bring that leg in front into a knee lift. Repeat with left leg. Do at least one set of 15 lunges (on each side).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste