Skip to main content

Words

P1: I got a 95% on my first assignment in my current course. The prof had no problem with the content, but, of course, I made a bunch of APA formatting errors. Luckily he didn't deduct much and said he would rather students be given the chance to learn for future assignments. Very different approach from the one Dr. A-Hole took! You'd think after having written a doctoral dissertation in APA format and completed 4 courses already in this program that I'd have it down pat, but the truth is, I am lazy about it. I hate having to consult the guidebook for every tiny thing and I think the over-focus on formatting is idiotic. Nevertheless, this prof did me a huge favour: He explained to me how to easily format the references section using the "hanging indent" command. Because my current computer has Windows Vista, which is absolutely atrocious, I often cannot figure out how to do the simplest thing. Today, I finally figured out the hanging indent command and it made typing out the references on my final paper a snap. Of course I am still waiting for Adam's feedback on the rest of the paper, which I don't think will be pretty because it's not my greatest piece of writing.

P2: Little A went for her 15 month check-up last week, and she's doing great. She's 75th percentile for length and 50th for weight. The doctor confirmed that she has a bunch of teeth coming in, which explains why most days she is miserable from about 8-10am...maybe when her mouth hurts the most? But something exciting has happened: she is finally saying mommy and daddy! Yep, both words arrived at the same time. Now, I know she has known us as mommy and daddy for a while, but hearing the words out of her mouth is still heartwarming. Yesterday was a civic holiday but the weather was hot and sticky, so we took the girls to the Eaton Centre in the morning. They had a blast running around. At about 11am, all of a sudden Little A stopped in her tracks and made her poo-face. Adam snatched her up and he and Big A took her to the washroom for a diaper change. I waited with the stroller. As they walked back to me from across the mall, Little A pointed at me and yelled, "mommeee!". Yay!! Maybe now the words will all start coming...I hope. I can see the light now...we will soon have 2 children that can walk and talk and NO MORE BABIES!!!

Big A completely refuses to nap at home on the weekends now. I really wouldn't mind so much if she didn't still need a nap so badly. Yesterday we hopped in the car at 4pm to go to my sister-in-law's new house for a visit and within 3 minutes she was out cold. We had to take turns sitting in the car in the driveway with her until she woke up about an hour later. Then she was extremely groggy and grumpy. The only upside is we were able to get her into bed at 7:45pm last night, instead of fighting to get her there by 8:15pm, like most nights.

Big A has suddenly started showing a keen interest in learning to write her letters and numbers. Every night before bed she asks Adam, who, lucky for us is a fantastic teacher, to help her with it. Adam is very impressed with her work ethic and desire to practice. These are definitely traits she gets from her father! I once tape recorded myself playing the saxaphone when I was 12 so I could shut my door and play the tape when my parents told me to go practice. Needless to say I never became David Sanborn!

F1: A few months ago I mentioned the marinated tempeh products I got at the health food store (made by the Tofurky company). Yesterday I tried the coconut curry flavour (not at all spicy, I had to add some heat to satisfy my tastes) and it was fabulous. I highly recommend trying it if you see it.

F2: Exercise of the week: Prone chest press

Lie on your front on a stability ball or bench with shoulders at the edge holding light to medium hand weights and perform a chest press, pushing weights straight out in front at chest level with palms facing down. Perform at least 2 sets of 15 repetitions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Blackfly Coolers: Product Review

Summer is over! Well, at least if you're a student. Officially it doesn't end for a few weeks, and it certainly still feels like summer. Yeah, I hate it. This f*cking hot, humid weather needs to end NOW! We made the most of our last weekend of the summer with our annual trip to the CNE on Friday, with a crowd of friends. It wasn't unbearably lot, thank goodness, and the girls and their friends had a blast on the rides.  Saturday I had to work, and Sunday was errand day. Monday we took the girls berry/apple/pear picking but didn't last long due to the heat. I organized the house to prepare for the construction workers starting back up yesterday, while Adam took the girls for a swim in our neighbourhood pool. Yesterday was the first day of school. Grade 2 and Grade 5. Yep, the girls are growing up.  We are fortunate that the girls don't have much anxiety about school, they are so much more confident than I ever was as a kid! But now, in the midst of our reno ch

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste