Skip to main content

Same old, same old

P1: Things are going relatively smoothly with my work these days. I got an A+ in my Theories of Personality course, I am working away on my current Psychological Assessment course and I begin my Infertility counselling course through UofT Continuing Ed tomorrow. I have also just finished a third (and hopefully final!) draft of the presentation on fitness I am giving for Proactive Movement on June 29th, the corporate fitness company that hired me to give seminars. Most importantly, I am meeting with Dr. M at Mount Sinai to discuss setting up my volunteer position. I am still worried she'll cancel on me or when I come to talk to her she'll have decided that it's not going to work out. But hopefully that's just me being my usual crazy-worrier self. I am so excited to begin the volunteering but I have realized that once I begin, things are going to be even MORE hectic than they are now. Nevertheless, this is probably one of the most important things I can do for my future career development.

P2: I could go on ad nauseum about how frustrated I am with Big A right now but you've heard it all before. We had the same stupid fight this morning that I've been having with her every morning since she was 18 months old: doesn't want to go to daycare, doesn't want to put on her shoes or socks, doesn't want to wear a coat, etc., etc. And the irony is how often I show up to get her at the end of the day and she accuses me of coming too early and wants to stay longer and play. So I know it's not because there is a problem at daycare. It's the whole "transitions" thing. Transitioning Big A from sleep to wake, from home to out, from wake to sleep, these are always the times for battles, which from what I understand, is pretty normal for kids. But I am so tired of battling with her every day over this stuff, it's been over 2 years of this crap! And yet I know that somehow this must be partly my fault, or so I'm told. I'm apparently not mean enough, consistent enough, staying calm enough, etc. It's not like I'm not trying but it is so much harder than it sounds. Sherma reminded me today that ignoring is one of the best ways to get kids to stop their bad behaviour. This has worked in the past, but somehow I can't remember to do it every time. So I vow here, right now, to try and ignore her antics (consistently) starting tomorrow. We'll see if this works...

F1: Here is the recipe for the vegetarian sandwiches I made for the birthday party last weekend. They were a hit with the grown-ups. I'm also including the mini-pizza recipe I made for the kids. Even Little A ate a few bites of a pizza (before throwing the rest on the floor).

Hummus and Roasted Veggie Wraps

2 cups of your favorite hummus, homemade or store-bought
500 ml jar roasted eggplant (drain and let dry a bit on paper towel), or 1 homemade roasted eggplant
500 ml jar roasted red peppers (drain and let dry a bit on paper towel) or 4 homemade roasted peppers
6 10 inch whole wheat flax wraps

Spread wraps generously with hummus and on one end place some eggplant and pepper in a vertical line. Fold in the ends of the wrap toward the line of veggies and then starting at the end where you placed the veggies, role up. Slice in half and place a toothpick in each half.

Mini Pizzas for Kids

10 soft, mini whole grain pitas (no pocket necessary)
1 can organic tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup finely chopped spinach (optional)
About 1.5 cups shredded mozza and cheddar cheese
Toppings of your choice (bbq chicken, sweet peppers, etc.)

Place tomato paste in saucepan with I can full of water, garlic and oregano. Stir and heat over low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Turn off heat. Spread sauce over pitas and sprinkle with cheese. Top with your kids' favorite toppings. If your kids are like mine and won't eat any veggies on their pizza, try hiding some chopped spinach in the tomato sauce before spreading on pita. Bake on cookie sheet at 425 for 10-12 minutes.

F2: Make fitness a priority. If you don't have the time or money to join a gym, there is always the great outdoors or your own home. There are lots of good fitness DVDs out there these days. Don't make excuses...make it like brushing your teeth, part of your daily routine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste