Skip to main content

Yoga and a Zen Recipe

I did a yoga class today at a neighbourhood studio. It was the first class I've done in about 3 years. Even though it wasn't the best class ever (the teacher wasn't all that experienced), it was wonderful to have an hour to myself and it reminded me how much I love yoga.

I used to do yoga once a week religiously for years. I started doing ashtanga (power yoga) because I was young and stupid and thought that an activity wasn't worthwhile unless it burned calories. But eventually I got tired of it and found I really wanted more of a restorative experience, especially since I already do so much cardio and high intensity exercise. I also got sick of the competitive attitude I was finding in some power yoga classes. I'm definitely not extraordinarily flexible and never really got to a super advanced level in yoga. I once accidently showed up to an advanced class at my old yoga studio and I was not made to feel welcome. So anyways, I switched to hatha yoga, a much gentler form, and never looked back.

Unfortunately, with no major income right now and significant tuition costs from school, I can't afford to pay to go to a yoga class regularly. Luckily, I spoke to my boss at the JCC, where I teach spinning, and she said I was welcome to drop in and do some classes there. So after Sherma starts next week, I'm hoping to get there on Tuesdays for a 1pm hatha class. I love being forced to slow down my body and my brain for an hour...I think it's really good for a neurotic, a-type like myself. Today was a nice treat which I feel I earned: I got 95% on my final paper for my Theories of Personality course!

Here is the recipe I tried last night and it was delish. I love cooking with nut butters. If you don't want to use peanut butter, you could use cashew butter. The pineapple, vinegar, soy sauce and chili give it a sweet, sour, salty, spicy combo that I love. Of course, you can just omit the chili if you don't like heat. This would make a great filling for wraps or serve over rice, which is what I did last night. It's also make entirely in one pot so there's not much to clean up. It can also simmer for a long time, so you have flexibility if you aren't sure when you will be serving it.

Pineapple Peanut Chicken

1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1 onion, diced
1 large knob ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can crushed pineapple with juice
2 tbls soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
Chili flakes, to taste (optional)
Crushed peanuts (optional)

Cook chicken in large pan or skillet over medium heat, until partially cooked. Add ginger, garlic, onion and pineapple with juice and cook until chicken is done and onion is softened. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and peanut butter and turn heat down to low. Add cabbage and chili (if using) and simmer at least 30 minutes. If serving over brown rice, sprinkle each serving with some crushed peanuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japanese 7-Spice Kelp Noodles

I love trying new spices and seasonings, so I am very excited that the President's Choice Black Label line now has a bunch of new spice blends available.  My most recent find: Shichimi Togarashi, or Japanese 7-Spice blend. It's a combination of crushed red chili flakes, sea salt, Szechiuan peppercorns, black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, orange zest, wasabi powder and nori seaweed flakes. I make Japanese-inspired dishes all the time, but resort to the same old flavours most of the time: miso, soy, sesame, ginger and garlic.  I was so excited to be able to liven things up a bit. This dish is easy and tasty, although be warned that this seasoning packs punch.  I used 1 tsp, which ended up being too spicy for me, and I have a high tolerance for heat!  I recommend 1/4-1/2 tsp, or, if you don't like heat at all, make your own at home and omit the red chili flakes.  You'll get all the flavour without the heat. I served these noodles with a mix of seafood (

Book Review: The A to Z of Children's Health

Hey there, welcome to Monday!  We had a delightful, relatively quiet weekend.  How was yours?  Hopefully no one in your home was sick...there is a lot of nasty stuff going around these days. If you're a parent, than you have probably spent far more time that you would like to desperately searching Google and/or parenting books trying to figure out if your child's rash, cough or fever warrants a trip to the doctor or if there is something that can be done to treat it.  It's hard not to worry that it could be something more ominous that just an every day infection and while you'd make yourself (and everyone around you) nuts if you panicked every time your kid has the sniffles, as a parent, you naturally want to do everything in your power to prevent your child from harm. Recently I was sent The A to Z of Children's Health , written by doctors Jeremy Friedman, Natasha Saunders, and Norman Saunders, of Toronto's very own Hospital for Sick Children .  One of th

How to Look Like a Celebrity

Okay, I know you're going to be interested in this post! I am sure virtually every woman in North America has wondered how Hollywood celebrities achieve such 'perfect' bodies.  Well, at CAN FIT PRO last week, one of Hollywood's top fitness trainers, Eric the Trainer , was there to tell us fitness professionals the secrets! Eric the Trainer, gave several presentations, and I caught the one on Celebrity Secrets, and it was most interesting!!!  I also found some of what he said rather disturbing. First off, he was very upfront about the fact that celebrities come to him for improve their appearance.  Not to improve their health or athletic performance.  To look their best.  He admitted that his approach then, is entirely dedicated to that end. Male and female celebrities are trained in completely different ways because Hollywood wants women to be lithe and thin and in his words, "look like they dropped out of heaven looking this way without every having ste